Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had sedation for having a tooth removed?

Re: Anyone had sedation for having a tooth removed?

I have had 5 teeth out. Not all in one go though. 2 wisdom teeth the first time, quite a difficult extraction on one, which did mean soft or liquid food for several days. I did hurt but that's because it wasn't a straightforward extraction.
    All the other teeth I had out caused me no trouble afterwards. When I had my other 2 wisdom teeth out (both in the same day) I was able to et a meal in the evening.
    I had a lower front tooth out not that long ago. Even tho this was in an awkward place but I still managed ok.
    As regards root canal fillings. I think depending on the condition of the tooth. They can last a long time as long as the tooth is sound enough. I suppose they can't always guarantee saving any tooth but most dentists would only ever perform an extraction if there is no chance of saving a tooth.
    I have had about 3 root canal fillings with mixed results.
    Oh I had all my dental work under local anaesthetic but that's because I'd be scared of sedation. I guess it's best to have the treatment done under the conditions that help u be most relaxed & if sedation's better for you... Then go for it.
    All my simple extractions were left to heal on their own. I didn't have them packed.
    Of course It isn't very nice having teeth out & no-one would choose to but It doesn't actually take that long for them to do straight forward extractions. There's a few days discomfort but after that, once the area heals, your mouth will feel better than before.
    Oh I must congratulate you on going to see the dentist despite your phobia. It takes courage to face your fears. Also you do have the right attitude.... As in not worrying too much now but gathering helpful information ahead of your appointment,
    Oh, I didn't need painkillers for the straightforward extractions I had either. The area was of course sensitive but I avoided eating on that side of my mouth. And stuck to a soft diet. Did the mouthwashes etc as Annie described.

Thanks Tessar. Very reassuring. I'm a bit nervous about the sedation and I'm sure on the day I'll be quite worried, but I can't face extraction without it! I remember going to the dentist with my mum when I was little and she had a tooth out, and I can still hear the horrible cracking sound. Plus I'd be worried about gagging on bits and blood, so with sedation that fear should be gone.

Thanks for the praise - it took me a while to get there but I knew it was something that needed doing, and the longer I left it the worse it'll would be. And as with anything, the thought is worse than actually doing it.

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Random question - do you just sit in the chair like usual?

Yes you do

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

I am fine with sedation...I am going to Rome on Monday and I wish I could be sedated for the journey

Wow Annie, that'll be great! I'm not keen on flying but did it this summer and actually enjoyed it! I just took lots of things to keep me occupied. How long is the flight?

I am not sure how long the flight is, just a couple of hours I think. I will have to check as s I cant even remember the time...about 8 am. I am trying not to think about it till the day :-) I hate traveling. Will be okay when I get there :-)

Course you will :-) A couple of hours will whizz by - by the time you've taken off, then the trolley come round and you can buy some overpriced drinks, drink the drinks, read, go to the loo... You'll be there :-) And you'll come back nice and relaxed. Jealous? Me?!

It is 3 hours...longer than I thought :(

I did a 3hour flight about 4 yrs ago. Its long enough to get bored when over the sea.... Do you listen to music? That's what I rely on, apart from writing!!!!

I did 2 hours 40 in the summer and it flew by. What I do ifim nervous is focus on the halfway point. So just try to get by the first hour and 30 mins, then after that it's just the same as what you've already done! Read the in-flight mag and treat yourself to something

I really don't know how people manage 12 hour flights - anxiety aside, I'd just get bored! I struggle after a couple of hours in front of the tv at home!

I bought a little mp3 player when I went to Croatia and put relaxing music on but I have lost it :(

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

I am usually too anxious to eat on a flight and worried it will go straight through me!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information