Thread: Uneven pupils

Uneven pupils

I am currently worried about my pupils. They are constantly different sizes (other than in bright light) and it is noticeable. It's been like this for quite a short while (since I noticed that is) and it's really bugging me. I have of course googled it and it can be a sign of a brain tumor (thankfully the NhS website doesn't list this as a symptom) and it is really getting to me. My family are saying it's not noticeable but it definitely is.
    Any ideas what it could be?
    I had an eye test less than 6 months ago and although I'm a little short-sighted I was told my eyes are healthy, nothing about my pupils was mentioned.

Re: Uneven pupils

If your family say it's not noticeable then could it be that it actually isn't noticeable and you just think it is because your worrying and actually looking for it?

I only say this because I went through a phase of being utterly convinced I had different pupil sizes. I used to ask everyone how they looked, looked in car wing mirrors down the street, checked them with a torch etc (yes this sounds crazy I know!). Anyway they were fine, everyone has one slightly bigger than the other, same as feet etc but I was so worried I was actively looking for a symptom to back up my worries. You will be fine x

Hi KeeKee,

Sorry to hear your having a bad time at the moment.

I have had the same issue with uneven pupils. Mine have been randomly uneven on and off for around a year now. They are pretty much always uneven in dim/dark light but even in bright light. I have had various tests due to other neurological symptoms and everything came back clear.

Have you started taking an anti depressant recently by any chance? I am pretty sure my uneven pupil size started when I was on Citalopram, it was also there when I was on Sertraline and just never seemed to return to normal since coming off these meds.

You could go your doctor just to get it checked out but most of the time if they react to light then they say its ok so try not to worry to much.

I made a thread about my uneven pupil size a while back so you could check that out if you want. Take care

Hi guys, thanks for replying. They are definitely different sizes my partner has even confirmed that. They do still both react to light and dark and are mostly uneven when it's duller.
    Yes I was on Citalopram from about April to August and am now on Paroxetine, do you think it may ve the meds? I do occasionally get a pain in a particular part of my head that lasts seconds and this coupled with the uneven pupils has me a little uncomfortable :-(

---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 ----------

Knowing you have both been through this does make it a little easier to deal with. Especially as it was nothing sinister.

My right is bigger than left and I asked the optician and they said that could happen. The issue is when they don't both respond to light shining in them. By that I mean really noticeable difference.
    I had eye worries due to a mole. It was the trigger if anxiety for me. I'm now ok with this issue.
    Also anti depressants can cause this x

Thanks panicperson. My right pupil is also the bigger one.

I stopped my anti depressants and thought it would help but it's still slightly bigger. I've been under the eye hospital for a different issue and they haven't voiced it as a concern x

Thread Information