Thread: New to Sertraline

New to Sertraline

Hi,

I'm new here, both to the site and to taking Sertraline. Unfortunately I'm not new to anxiety! I've had it all my life but recently pressures have become a bit too much to cope with. It was affecting my new marriage and I decided enough was enough, I wasn't getting better on my own so I'd better step up and do something about it.

I've been taking the pills for six days now and the side-effects have been pretty bad, I'm sticking with it. I think surely if I'm getting all the side-effects then in time I'll be getting all the benefits of the medication, too? I've felt a lot better in myself because I know I'm doing something to help myself, and also the side-effects mean I'm focusing on the now instead of constantly panicking about the future. I can't see beyond "how am I going to feel today", which actually helps!

The first day was pretty scary - I had an awful stomach about half an hour after my first pill (I have stress-induced IBS anyway) which has thankfully now settled, but I spent the first day at work shaking almost uncontrollably. I was dizzy, tense, anxious to the point of having panic attacks over tiny things. I have no idea why I kept taking them after the first day! Since then the shakes have been less and less, but I haven't been driving because of the dizziness, restless legs and potential for panic attacks.

Yesterday was a good day - a little dizziness and tiredness but I felt really good all day. Today has been hard so far - I was too dizzy to get out of bed until mid-day. I've been through a restless phase and I'm now just tense all over (physically can't relax my muscles) which is utterly exhausting. I have a stressful week ahead of me at work, which I'm worried about.

Despite it all, I will stick with it and I look forward to finding my feet soon (ish!) and leading a more "normal" life.

Anyway, I just needed to write it all down really! Thanks for reading

Re: New to Sertraline

Hi Kem
    the meds take a while to work so hang in there,also time is a great healer you just have to have faith and strength

best of luck

Hi MrAndy,

Thanks for your reply. Today at work has been just exhausting so I'm hoping it'll be worth it soon! It's interesting to read others' experiences on here and it certainly helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Hi MrAndy,

Thanks for your reply. Today at work has been just exhausting so I'm hoping it'll be worth it soon! It's interesting to read others' experiences on here and it certainly helps!
    you might not think it now but you will
    heal just like if you had a broken leg.
    hang in there and try not to push yourself to hard,be kind to yourself and time will do the rest
    best wishes

Thread Information