Thread: Looking for feedback on Sertraline please!

Question Looking for feedback on Sertraline please!

Hi all

I'm hoping that I can get a bit of advice from you all regarding Sertraline. Sorry if the post is a bit long!
    I'm an 18 year old girl, and have had anxiety since I was 4 years old (diagnosed officially at 13). I've had various forms of therapy - including CBT - during the last 5 years, and my doctor is now strongly advising that I start antidepressants as nothing else is working.
    I did try both Citalopram and Sertraline at the age of 16, but didn't manage a full week on either because of the side effects and my intense fear of vomiting. Ever since then I've been determined to get better without meds, but it's got to the point where I am merely existing. I'm finding it extremely difficult to sleep, get up, get dressed or do anything of a 'normal' routine. I've also lost a LOT of weight due to my lack of appetite which has resulted in my GP threatening me with the psychiatric hospital, which obviously isn't a route I want to go down.
    I can't remember what it's like to live without anxiety considering I've had it for so long, and I can't see a way out of all of this anymore without bringing meds into the mix unfortunately.
    I'm absolutely terrified about taking Sert (which is what my doc has recommended) mainly because of the side effects, so I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have been/are on it.
    If you've had side effects taking it, what did you get and how long did they last?
    My main worries are feeling or being sick, dark thoughts and dizziness. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated as I don't know whether to bite the bullet or not!

Thank you,
    Leanne

Re: Looking for feedback on Sertraline please!

Hi Leanne

Sorry you have been feelin so bad-

I would say it is worth you trying again. The sickness can be combatted in my experience by making sure you don't take it on an empty stomach. ( i know that can be dificult if you haven't much of an appetite- but i think it does work,)

I usually take mine after breakfast.

I do sympathise- i hate being sick too-

Sorry that you're having such a tough time right now hun, it does, and will get better though

I'm on Sertraline and to be honest, the only side effect that I got when starting them was a little hike in my anxiety, my doctor did give me some very low dose diazepam just to help me through that, but I didn't hardly need them really, the anxiety soon settled back down within a couple of days

I agree with Ccat, try taking them when you've eaten something as that will line your stomach and should stop any sickness. I never was sick or even felt sick when I started mine, I too, take mine in the morning after a little breakfast, I never experienced any dizziness either

Don't be frightened though hun, you'll be fine, I'm loving being on Sertraline, I'm finding it really helpful

To make it easier and to lesson any side effects that you may get, it's best to start at the lowest dose possible and then gradually build it up until you're at your desired level, hopefully that's what your doctor has planned for you hun

Do come back to us if you need anymore help or advice and to let us know how you're getting on please hun

after 6 weeks the side effects are nothing to be concerned about
    try it again and hang in there,you will get lots of support on here
    take care

I've been on sert for almost a week now ( 50mg ) and have had no side effects whatsoever , made the switch from clomipramine which had mild but not unbearable side effects this time round, your body reacts to medication differently at different points in your life, I'm 18 and have been suffering from anxiety since an early age too, the fear of vomiting was a major problem for me until health anxiety fears started.

Thread Information