Thread: How can I be sure?

How can I be sure?

Im getting vey worried now that my symptoms aren't IBS

Tests so far include.

Various blood work, ultra sounds on stomach/gallbladder/kidneys etc but this pain in my right side still persists!! (2 and a half years now) and my toilet habits have changed yet again, I have stomach ache all day most days too

I havent asked for a Colonoscopy as they just keep saying IBS and I feel like Im bothering the doc keep going back

So has anyone here been told IBS and it actually wasnt? its really worrying me now

Thanks

Re: How can I be sure?

If the pain you are getting is on your upper right abdomen, just below your ribs, then that is most certainly due to IBS, I sometimes get pain there and my doctor told me that we have bowel up there and many people with IBS experience pain or discomfort in that area

The fact that you've said that your bowel habits change daily is also a good indicator that it's IBS, my bowels are never the same 2 days in a row.

Have you tried any of the medication that is available now for IBS? there are some pretty good ones now, also try altering your diet a bit to try and find out if there are any particular foods that make it worse, I can only eat tiny amounts of cheese, because cheese always upsets me and gives me the IBS cramps, so it is worth changing your diet about a bit.

I'm no doctor, but I would think that if it were anything more serious then something would have showed up in the tests you've had, and I know through experience, that IBS can make you feel pretty unwell and in a lot of discomfort sometimes hun

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieMoosie View Post
    If the pain you are getting is on your upper right abdomen, just below your ribs, then that is most certainly due to IBS, I sometimes get pain there and my doctor told me that we have bowel up there and many people with IBS experience pain or discomfort in that area

The fact that you've said that your bowel habits change daily is also a good indicator that it's IBS, my bowels are never the same 2 days in a row.

Have you tried any of the medication that is available now for IBS? there are some pretty good ones now, also try altering your diet a bit to try and find out if there are any particular foods that make it worse, I can only eat tiny amounts of cheese, because cheese always upsets me and gives me the IBS cramps, so it is worth changing your diet about a bit.

I'm no doctor, but I would think that if it were anything more serious then something would have showed up in the tests you've had, and I know through experience, that IBS can make you feel pretty unwell and in a lot of discomfort sometimes hun
    Thanks for your reply

Im taking Mebeverine but they dont seem to be working

Im also worried because my mum died from bowel cancer and Im at the age she started having problems
    Stupid I know but Ive never told my doc about that, suppose Im in denial

What other meds are there for IBS?

If your mum had bowel cance, have you been tested for it too?

It's just I know whole family's go get tested if one of them had bowel cancer. Not sure why I figure it's gentic or something.

You should go get the colonoscopy, it's very very good at showing up any problems. You really need to tell your doctor about your mothers cancer.

Thread Information