Thread: Tooth Infection?

Tooth Infection?

I have recently cut a wisdom tooth and until now it has given me no bother. However recently I have had a sore cheek and yesterday my jaw was a little sore and I struggled to open it. Today it's worse and even just eating a banana was difficult. I've googled this and it could be an infection.
    my cheek feels quite swollen although my partner is saying it isn't.
    Should I go to the doctors or the dentist?
    Also I have a bit of a few we of antibiotics due to me being allergic to penicillin.

Re: Tooth Infection?

Well I got an emergency appointment and basically they couldn't find anything. Dentist said it looks like a jaw injury and to apply heat and use ibuprofen. She asked if I clench my jaw which I'm sure I don't but u suppose I may whilst sleeping. Hmmm

Hope it feels better soon. Like you I'm allergic to penicillin so dental antibiotics can be a nightmare the most popular two alternatives make me very ill

I had something similar to what you describe and it was from grinding my teeth. Something I didn't know I did. Luckily only had it once

Thanks Bernie. By any chance did your cheek swell too?
    dentist recommended Ibuprofen which do help but it's soooo uncomfortable when I am eating. Hope it doesn't last too long.

Hi KeeKee,

I am wondering if you have a touch of TMJ flare up and tenderness. This is when you clench your teeth (often without realising it) usually during the night during sleep. I suffer with this and it can really make your jaw very painful and sore, as if you have a dental problem/bad tooth.

As long as the dentist is certain there is no tooth issue, i would second what they said about heat and Ibruprofen. When I get this I make an effort not to clench my teeth during the day, and take some anti-inflammatory meds like Ibruprofen, and it does calm down.

Unfortunately, TMJ can be another lovely physical effect of anxiety, sigh.

Hope it settles down for you soon.x

Thanks Debs I've just seen your reply. Having googled TMJ I agree this is probably what it is. I don't grind my teeth whilst awake though so if this ever comes back again, I may think of purchasing a bite plate as its very uncomfortable. I'm now on day 3 of being unable to open jaw even enough to fit a tooth brush in straight.
    Ibuprofen certainly helps but not when I am chewing unfortunately.
    On the bright side I've been wanting to lose weight for ages so hopefully I might drop a few lbs with not being able to eat crunchy foods hehe. Didn't stop me from eating a chocolate bar last night though as a treat for being 'poorly'.

Dr Google can't see your tooth, if you're concerned see a dentist.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Thread Information