Thread: Increasing from 15mg to 30mg

Thumbs down Increasing from 15mg to 30mg

Hey!

I have been on 15mg mirt for a week now and due to increase my dose tonight to 30mg....is there anything I should know before I do this??

I was on 20mg citalopram for 2yrs before being directly switched to mirt last week. I was a total zombie for the first 4 days and I am struggling with not being fully functional in a morning, especially I have been a 'morning' person all my life! I have seen all the warnings on here about weight gain & have removed all tempation from my house, replacing crisps, cakes and choc with fruit! So far so good

I have found in the lasy 7 days that I am very irritable & have less patience than ever before; I can go from angry to tears to laughing in the space of 5 mins. I have zero energy, so my gym membership is going to waste at the moment and I have always tired. The worst effect for me has to be the stomach cramps, trapped wind and persistant diarrhoea....has anyone else experienced these symptoms?? Are they going to get worse with the increase in meds? I don't know if these effects are to do with coming off cit, starting mirt or both??

Will be discussing with my Dr next week, but any advice is most welcome!

Re: Increasing from 15mg to 30mg

Stopping and starting ADs and changing dose levels are always the worst times. You probably need three or four weeks or more for the new medication at the new level to settle in. The good news is that side effects should lessen rather than increase.

I haven't experienced your side effects. They may be related to your change in ADs, but with all this, you should discuss it with your doctor.

On 15mg I'm fine, helps me sleep.

I've tried 30mg several times, under GPs supervision, but had to stop after a couple of weeks each time and drop down to the lower dose.

This is because 30mg caused me to be hypersensitive, over-emotional, lacking in decent sleep, stressed and "wired" constantly. All the opposite of what I wanted.

If you're getting similar effects at 15mg I'd be wary of increasing it.

Maybe you need to see your GP regarding a possible alternative?

I started mirt in 2007 so I don't really remember any start-up effects apart from drowsiness and dry mouth.

Some of your experiences may be SSRI withdrawal related.

Did take 30mg last night & felt ok....will do the same tonight & see how I get on. Thanks for the comments, they do help

Depression citalopram 20mg 2yrs; mitrazapine 15mg 7 days!

I was upped for 15 to 30 after a week too. The first week was ok, but then after that life was just pure hell. I would just sit, staring into space. Completelt emotionless except anger. Then the panic came back 10 fold.

After 3 weeks (I think, I don't even remember most days I was on 30), I dropped back to 15 and it was a complete turn around over night. Back to myself again, and the panic has eased. I went to the doctor, and he agreed to just stay at 15.

I am actually thinking of weaning off the mirt, and just go med free and see what happens. I just finished weaning off paxil, and am starting to wonder if maybe the meds could be causing my attacks these days. I have been on paxil for 10 years.

But good luck on 30! Everyone is different

4 days on 30mg & I'm an emotional wreck....all I want to do is sleep, eat or cry.

Back at Dr on Thurs morning so will see what she says.....really dont want ti carry on like this. And not being able to have a glass of vino in an eveninv is killing me :'( back to the drawing board I think!

Depression citalopram 20mg 2yrs; mitrazapine 15mg 7 days!

Did you keep going with the 30mg?

Thread Information