Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obsessed over checking my body for lumps and signs of the big c

Obsessed over checking my body for lumps and signs of the big c

I have posted quite a lot but I just feel that I have one of the worst anxiety attacks I've had in a long time, a really bad flare up just now
    I just can't cope anymore.
    I have had anxiety for years but for the last 3 weeks it has been really bad then yesterday I thought it was starting to calm down until I found another symptom
    I am constantly worrying about cancer. It is taking over my life. I am constantly poking and prodding my body for signs and now, you may laugh but I'm getting pains under my left arm pit, it's like I've shaved and not washed the soap off properly, it's itchy and sticky but I haven't put deodorant on under there for fear of aggravating it so don't think it's a reaction to that. I don't know if it's because I'm constantly poking about there that I'm making it worse? Has anyone else done this, made something worse because you can't leave it alone? I can't feel a lump in or around that area but I still think of the big C. I have only just come away from the doctor after getting blood tests for dizziness etc so don't want to annoy him. If they come back with high inflammation levels or anything abnormal I think I will cry. I feel I am losing my mind and constantly think I have these serious illnesses. Nothing can ever be simple. I don't want to google my symptoms because I did that years ago and it mentioned the big C in something which turned out to be simple and I know If I google this it will tell me something awful. Does anyone else worry over cancer? I know it's not something that anyone wants but I mean in a really obsessive way? I can't stop checking my body!!!!

Re: Obsessed over checking my body for lumps and signs of the big c

I went threw a patch of checking poking prodding messing I fear the c word terrible it's a thought I have alday everyday :( I've had it for 2 years now out the blue x

It's really awful. any symptom, even a simple spot or something and that's what automatically comes into my head! I check for lumps without even being aware. I could be sitting watching TV then I notice I am sitting poking and prodding my body and massaging around for lumps! So scary isn't it?! I've had this HA for 6 years now but GA since I was 11. This triggered when I had my daughter 6 years ago. Hope you're not too bad today?x

I don't check anymore well I do sometimes I find it terribly scary I picture all synarios in my mind but mine is also a fear of leaving my children without a mum I find it goes in circles from 1 to another to another to another :( I worry myself sick sometimes we'll all the time and if it's not the c word it'd my heart :( x

I COMPLETLY relate to you!! If it's not the c word it's my heart too! And I feel the same about being a mum. I create scenarios too about how best to help my daughter cope etc. I never realised how common this type of anxiety is though! It's nice to know you're not alone but sad at the same time x

I really can relate to this fear too. It is horrible! Every ache and pain I have makes me think straight away of c . There are a lot of us with the same fear so you are not on your own!
    Take care.

I actually HAVE lumps. I refuse to give in to the panic mode though. It isn't cancer, I refuse to believe it, but I'm gonna get them checked anyhow. You gotta determine that you can't let these things control your life!

Chili, I worry about this all the time too. My big fear is melanoma. My Dad had it and I'm at high risk for it. I became so obsessive about it over the past few months that I saw my family doctor 3 times in one week about it, saw my regular dermatologist and my psychiatrist got me in to see another dermatologist to help put me at ease. I'm now about to start group therapy because of this health anxiety I have.

Right now, I'm having issues with sinus and what I think is silent reflux. But at the same time I'm very worried I could have a tumor hiding in my lungs or throat or sinuses that's been causing some bleeding that I've been having. I'm going to see my doctor about it next week.

Anyway, I just told you all of this, because I totally get where you are coming from. It's an awful way to live, in fear of this all of the time.

As far as your armpit goes, I have had that feeling in my armpit before a couple of times, and it went away. I think it's either from shaving, or an ingrown hair that gets irritated.

Hey i know how you feel as i feel exactly the same and its not nice..i constantly check my body for symtoms every little thing i think its someting serious :-( i have two young children and always think of how they would be if something was to happen to me..i just want these thoughts and feelings to go now so that i can enjoy my life with my family without worrying everyday about what could happen..not sure what to do any more..Jo x

Hi

I worry about cancer every single day, checking myself every day, I used to do about 35 self examinations per day, still doing about a couple per day/week.

Plenty of poking and prodding as well.

I been to the doctors lots of time, a few scans of abdominal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information