Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning to work....work-related stress....

Returning to work....work-related stress....

Over the past few months I've been finding my job really stressful cos we were being overworked. I found myself crying a lot at work & home & feeling low & anxious all the time. A few weeks ago I made the decision to see my Dr & he signed me off with work-related stress. My manager was really awful with me on the phone & made me think that I could be sacked when I return if I wasn't capable. These past few days I've felt better in myself & ready to go back but then my work colleague told me that one of my supervisors who she has as a Facebook friend has been snooping on her account to see if she can find any conversations between us talking about work, there's none cos it's all done via PM of course.
    This has now set me back & I've been crying all night cos I'm so worried they want rid of me now & are just looking for reasons. I called them today to say I'll be back next week but now I feel like I'm back like I felt before I got signed off :(. The job is stressing me out too much but it's gonna be hard to get something else but I don't want to be dismissed.

Re: Returning to work....work-related stress....

How long have you worked there?

If over 2 years, it will take a lot to get rid of you...they can't just dismiss you.

Please don't just go back because you feel guilty, you need to get better first.

Take care hun, it's never easy but if the job is making you worse, is it really worth putting yourself through all this stress? I don't think so

Kitti x

Angel - for one your management cannot contact you when you're on sick leave. Secondly the nature of the phone call appears to one that is meant to upset and harass - very unprofessional and incredibly stupid.

My advice is that you need to empower yourself. Contact ACAS on 08457 47 47 47 - find out where you stand. You'll discover that employee rights also extend to you and that the company you work for has to observe the same rules and regulations as any other company.

Take control. You work to live, not the other way around. You've a right to be happy and respected. This is not the Dark Ages, and people cannot bully and harass just because they're above you. That just shows their metal.

And do not rush back to work. Rush back to see your doctor

The phoncall was when I called them to tell them I'd be off. She was just rude & acting like I was making it up. And it caused me to feel even more stressed & then I hear this & it's set me back & now I have no choice but to go back now cos I've told them so (they were ok with me when I called this time). I've been there over 5 years & this is the first long period of sickness I've had off. I'm dreading going back & them trying to get rid of me :(. Sometimes I want to hand in my notice but without another job it would be pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Andria24 View Post
    people cannot bully and harass just because they're above you.
    I was just about to say the same thing. That manager who was really awful to you on the phone, was being a bully, and was more concerned about him/herself than they were about your health.

I worked for a bully too, in my last place of employment and once I sustained a minor back injury at work and my doctor told me I had to take time off. My manager was such a bully about it, was trying to make it seem as though I was making my injury out to be worse than it was, etc, etc. So out of fear and worry, I stayed at work and worked in pain, which delayed my getting better.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I really regret being bullied like that and had I been more aware, I would've realised that my manager, or the company, could not punish me for being injured. Just in the same way that your manager or company can't punish you for being ill. Weather it's mental illness or physical illness.

I agree with what the others say, find out about your rights and if you're not ready to go back to work, then I think you should go back to your doctor and get another note.

Take care of yourself first.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just me seeing things differently & there's no problem at all, like I'm overly paranoid. And I just hate the fact that it seems like I'm not believed by my management team, I thought they knew me well enough by now to know that I'd never make up sickness & I'm a good worker etc but still get treated like rubbish cos I dare to let things stress me out.

I remember my other work colleagues telling me when they were on the sick that they were pretty much accused of lying too about their sickness even with Drs notes & they've had lots of periods of sickness. It just made me worry so much hearing that they've been trying to snoop on me on FB. They're the ones actually causing me more stress by not believing me rather than just leaving me be. Part of me wants them to sack me so I can take them to a tribunal but I don't want to have to take that path if I can avoid it. I want to go in & do a good job like I used to & carry on helping out like I've always done, I just don't want to be pushed like before. Part of me wonders if I've made things worse for myself by taking this sick leave now :( I'm am also now feeling run down with a cold which is making me feel worse.

You cannot get the sack because work made you stressed, your boss should be trying to make your work life less stressful for your return, not more!

I would probably speak to Citizens Advice Bureau about this, something doesn't smell right.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie1989 View Post
    You cannot get the sack because work made you stressed, your boss should be trying to make your work life less stressful for your return, not more!

I would probably speak to Citizens Advice Bureau about this, something doesn't smell right.
    It was doing the extra work that was stressing me out, we were being treated like we had to do this even though it was well over contract hrs. I'd ask for less before I went off & it was basically a snappy "no". I want to go back, keep my head down & ride things out now & start looking & applying for other jobs. Just hope they aren't funny with me when I go back & make out that if I can't do the work then I'll be sacked like they sounded like I would on the phonecall, which was basically "we'll talk when you get back & if you're not capable then....." Cue me bursting into tears & feeling more stressed than ever.

I know we all need to work to pay our bills, eat, have a roof over our heads etc. BUT.... a job is just that... a job. It's always easier to find work when you're working so perhaps start networking and put out some feelers.

I love my job. It doesn't really fee like work because I enjoy it so much. And, I play/perform music part time (haven't for a while due to being sick but will return to it next year). There's something to be said in enjoying the work you do for sure.

No "job" is worth being sick over I assure you. No "job" warrants being treated like dirt or made to feel less of a person. Just the fact that you're taking action and looking elsewhere can empower you and uplift your spirit and attitude. I'm not saying quit or anything of the sort but do give some thought into finding a place or doing something that brings satisfaction to your life. I could be making more money elsewhere but quality is much more valuable than quantity in my case and opinion.

Good Luck!
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information