Thread: Opinions on different meds pls

Opinions on different meds pls

After being on 20mg of Citalopram to treat panic disorder it just doesn't seem to be working anymore even though I wouldn't say it was brilliant anyway.
    I have been putting off going to the doctors to discuss this as im so scared to stop taking Citalopram and starting on something else.
    When I first started on Citalopram 4yrs ago it made me feel awful for the first 2-3 weeks. I was scared of my own shadow and constantly felt nauseous I lost a stone in weight. I know however I am needing a new med and am going to see the doctor tomorrow. I understand there is no such thing as a wonder drug but am so terrified of having a repeat of my 1st few weeks on Citalopram. Any suggestions of a good medication for panic/anxiety that doesn't cause to many horrible side effects in the 1st few weeks? Ty x

Re: Opinions on different meds pls

Have you tried non-medication ways in which to deal with your condition? If you do decide to go down this route you would want to do a very, very slow taper from citalopram - there are many stories about people tapering too quickly and being hit with horrible withdrawal symptoms.

If you go down the medication route - you could possibly try fluoxetine (prozac) or sertraline. Fluoxetine can cause some anxiety though as its fairly activating. I guess everyone has different body and brain chemistry though, so you may find it actually helps to sedate you. If you're going to try another SSRI I'd suggest sertraline first though. I was on it for 4.5 weeks but it didn't agree with me, so I stopped it.

Mirtazapine is a non SSRI medication you could try - it seems to be a lot milder than SSRIs from what I've read, and quicker to kick in. However, it is also very sedating (at higher doses it becomes more activating) and it is notorious for weight gain.

Thread Information