Hi,

I decided to come off citalopram a few months ago after being on 40mg for over 7 years and finding out that my prolactin levels were high. As my husband and I have been trying to conceive for around 3 years now, I thought that coming off citalopram might improve our chances.

I researched the withdrawal symptoms online and found so many reasons not to be on this anti-depressant that it's made me determined to come off even more! I asked my dr whether citalopram might have caused me to gain 6 stone over the last 7 years and she said it wasn't the cause. Whilst I don't solely blame the citalopram for my weight gain, I'm pretty sure it hasn't helped from what I gather online.

So I managed to get down to 10mg over 2 months or so and tried to come off completely. I was feeling so terrible - sickness, upset stomach, tearful and intense headaches that I had to go back to 10mg - although people say it won't take effect for 3 days, I pretty much instantly felt better and just felt exhausted and had to go to sleep for a few hours. I was really disappointed with myself but it really was unbearable. But for the first time, I felt myself coming back, I did feel disgusted with the weight I'd put on though, so I know I'm going to have to deal with that when I do eventually manage to be citalopram free!

After that ordeal, I decided to wait a few weeks and try to alternate 5mg with 10mg which doesn't seem to be too bad but I must admit I feel pretty unstable emotionally which my husband is hating right now! Unfortunately, he's been finding it so hard to deal with my erratic emotions that he would prefer me to stay on them, at least on 10mg. That probably doesn't really help but I am really determined to come off them!!

Tmi (sorry) but since I've been on the citalopram I've lost my sex drive completely, I honestly could do without sex forever, I just feel tired if my husband even mentions it which is making him start to question our relationship! I've explained it's probably the citalopram but he thinks it's an excuse but I genuinely couldn't care less about anything sexual, all I want to do is cuddle! My sex drive doesn't seem to be increasing as I'm reducing the dose either, which is a little worrying but I'm hoping it will come back eventually as that definitely isn't helping with trying to conceive, I'm sure!

Tonight I decided to cut down to 5mg every day. I'm hoping that once I feel stable (ish) I'll be able to come off completely!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on where to go from here.

Also, since being on 10/5mg alternate, I've just felt like staying in bed all day and just eating junk food, which I have pretty much been doing apart from when I'm at work!

Grateful for any success stories or even just people to talk to who might be going through something similar, no one I know had been through anything like this so I think they just think I'm being a bit of a drama queen! I possibly am just going mad!!!

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Sorry for the huge message! Didn't realise how long it was, life story!!