Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Coming off citalopram

Re: Coming off citalopram

Hi Natalie I've been reading your post and totally understand what you are going through! I was on Cit for 5 years on various doses In AUg 14 my Gp changed me to Mirtazapine and once again the Roller Coaster ride with a new drug starts again! It's strange but we all know our bodies and like yourself I've always felt best on a lower dose of any drug Keep on staying positive and I have learnt to accept that I will be on a low dose of something for the rest of my Life! I'm 44 and many of my friends are now on drugs for the rest of their life ( blood pressure , diabetes , epilepsy etc) I'm in the same boat just a different drug! Take care and keep fighting!
    Ken

I've been on Citalopram (10mg per day - is a low dose) for over 10 years now and my GP says if it helps there is no need to come off them. I'm 63 years old so don't now pay for the medication.
    Does this mean I should use them for the rest of my life or should I think about coming off them? I really don't know the answer to that. Are there any dangers?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Question Re: Coming off citalopram

I was sure somebody would come back to me re: my query. I don't suppose many of you have been on Citalopram for as long as I have (over 10 years).
    Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and many thanks for your reply.
    I was also on Seroxat about the same time as you. Can't remember for how long, but I came off it no problem.
    In 2004, I contracted a virus which completely knocked me for six and was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I was off work for over four months. I was put on Citalopram (10mg) and have never come off them since then. My GP increased the dose to 20mg but I've since reduced it back to 10mg. He said there was no need to stop taking them. I wonder if he's right?
    Incidentally, I was also in the Aerospace Industry and worked at Dowty Fuel Systems for many years until I took early retirement.

as long as you reduce very very slowly you should avoid any withdrawal symptoms, 10% per month is recommended .You wont know if your old symptoms will reappear until you come off them,its a bit trial and error.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information