Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming off citalopram

Re: Coming off citalopram

Hi, if you've been on citalopram for so long and are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, don't lower your dose any more for a few weeks. When your body has adapted to 5mg and you no longer suffer from changing moods and lack of energy, consider getting some kind of tablet cutter and going to 2.5mg/day.

Don't alternate doses eg 5mg one day, 2.5mg the next, as this might exacerbate any side effects. I still don't know why doctors advise this. Stick to a dose for several weeks, then reduce to the next one down.

Withdrawal effects don't come to everyone but they can be extremely hard to deal with. In fact it's a testament to how well you're doing that you haven't given up trying to withdraw. Don't withdraw too fast; it's not a race. But well done for being able to do this and feel proud that you've coped so well.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad there are so many other people that can relate. I find it absolutely terrible that the doctors are basically useless when trying to help people who want to come off. You sound like you're doing great, do you think you might come off them in the new year? I'm now trying to take a little less than 5mg and see how it goes, definitely want to taper slowly as I completely relate to how you felt when trying to come off too quickly. I'm not sure whether it's because I've been taking the maca root but definitely not feeling too bad, a few headaches and feeling a little irritable but nothing that I can't cope with.

So it's now day 9 and I've just taken about 4mg. Will see how it goes for the next week...

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Sorry psychopoet, I've just seen your post! Thanks, that sounds like a good idea, hopefully 4mg won't be too much of a shock but definitely going to wait a week to see how it's going before I go down any further. Going to the chemist at the weekend to try to get a pill cutter.

That's really good to hear, I really can't believe how hard it is to come off these tablets. My body must rely on them so much. I suppose that's what happens when you've been taking them for 7 years.

Have you had experience of coming off the tablets?

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

I've just been reading your guide, made me laugh - so much to relate to!

Day 2 on 4mg and day 4 on maca root. Feeling quite anxious today for no real reason. Overthinking things massively. Can't stop myself from having this nagging feeling about my work. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is either because there's nothing to be worried about!!!

Feeling pretty unstable today and think it's time to get into bed and watch some tv to get lost in until bedtime.

Really can't believe how hard this is but I determined to get off them even if it kills me. I'm starting to feel as though it may!! Shouldn't really joke about that but hopefully tomorrow will be better, it's Friday at least. Lots of studying I should be doing that I'm just ignoring which is probably part of the nagging feeling! Just feel like I don't even know where to start, so why try?

Day 3 on 4mg and day 5 on maca. Feeling really low today. Getting really angry about everything and just feel like everything's on top of me. Hate feeling like this

:(

It's so hard. God us people in here are so strong for going through all that we go through!!

Hang on in there. Sending u hugs and strength xx

Believe in yourself x

http://lisastaff.blog.co.uk

Thank you! That's so kind of you! Hopefully it'll be a better day tomorrow! Xx

Each day... A step further...... Keep the faith... I try too xxx

Believe in yourself x

http://lisastaff.blog.co.uk

Day 4 on 4mg and day 6 on maca: feeling irritable but coping. Just want to stay in bed and eat comfort food.

Day 5 on 4mg, day 7 on maca. Might give it one more day on 4mg and come off completely. Just feeling like I want to get it over with - probably not the right idea but getting fed up of taking so long to come off! Maca seems to be helping I think

Has anyone tried taking maca, St. John's wort and/or 5htp after coming off citalopram? I'm taking maca, which seems to be working but not sure whether to try sjw and 5htp once I'm off citalopram completely.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information