Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming off citalopram

Re: Coming off citalopram

Ok, first day of nothing. Here we go! Day 9 of maca. I know I'm getting irritable but seem to be coping, a few horrible headache things in my eyes ( brain zaps?) - really intense but they seem to move around my head rather quickly and then disappear. Definitely want this to be it! My head seems to be getting clearer, less 'fuzzy'. Feeling a little like my old self, especially my impulsive self which I'm a little worried about.

Day 2 on nothing was a nightmare, felt absolutely terrible, brain zaps and anxiety. Spaced out for most of the day, crying about ridiculous things. Had to give in and get back on 5mg. Obviously came off too fast so will be staying on roughly 5mg for another month at least as everyone advises in their

---------- Post added at 08:15 ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 ----------

Posts, not sure why I had to try to come off so quickly. Feel like I've taken a step backwards again but at least I'm feeling a little better today.

Well done at having a try to come off, there is always another time, I am now down to 5mg and haven't felt good the last week or so even though I am now in my 6th week on 5, my GP says I can go back on 10mg if I feel I want to, I am in 2 minds but would love to know how you get on going back to 5 and if it is helping.

Yeah, it's not easy is it? I will let you know how it's going, seem less anxious today already so I think it's a case of persevering with 5mg unless you feel that you really can't deal with it? Maybe go up to 7.5mg if you can split the tablet? I couldn't handle not being on anything though so I'm not going to try to reduce for at least a month! Good luck, let me know how you're getting on

No it isn't easy, I do feel better today so hopefully the worst is over, I can never see me getting off of them completely though and it certainly won't be any time yet if I do, let me know how things go.

Hi T2711, I wondered how you are feeling now you are back on 5mg, I haven't gone back to 10 yet, but there are times in the day when I feel I want to, at the moment the anxiety is the worst thing, ever part of me feels uptight, at the moment I don't know what to do. Do you feel better now you are on 5 and did you have any side effects getting back on to it?

Yep, back on the 5mg. I did get bad headaches the first 2 days but felt a lot less anxious so the physical side I can cope with. Do you feel that too? The emotional side is really hard to deal with because you can't really foresee how you're going to cope when you come off.

I know that's what my problem is. I think I'm fine so I just think I'll come off and cope but it's not quite that simple when you're feeling so bad.

I think you should try to stick with 5mg with me! I know it's hard but it will get easier and your side effects will reduce. It's such a slow and painful process. Once you're feeling stable (ish) on 5mg, perhaps you could get a pill cutter and try to divide 10mg into 3 and take a third each day? That's what I'm going to try next, probably not until after Xmas though as I've got exams in December so I need to get through December in one piece!

Do you think you're getting a bit less anxious each day or is it the same pretty much? The anxiety is horrible, it's so hard to think clearly. When I'm thinking straight I know it's stupid that I'm getting so worried and anxious about such minor things but at the time, it takes over your world, it's all you can think about. I wish I could tell myself that it's silly, what's the point in worrying if there's nothing I can/will do to change things so to get over it!

I'm not sure whether my maca root capsules are even working to be honest, considering trying St. John's wort, have you tried anything like that before?

It's quite nice coming on here after work and getting it all out of my system! Determined to get through this!!!! We can do it!

I agree with everything you say, when I am feeling OK I say to myself that I can cope with it but when the anxiety starts for no reason I find it hard to cope, I don't really want to go back up and I am going to give at least another week to see what happens as biggest part of the time I do feel OK but like I say when the anxiety comes I think I'm never going to cope, it is such a strange feeling and I don't think anyone who hasn't been through it can understand it. A friend of mine was suffering with depression earlier this year she went on an SSRI (not citalopram) but was worse on them and is now taking St John's Wort and is now fine, she is also having counselling. Like you if I do drop the dose any more it won't be till next year as I always find Christmas a bit stressful. I'm glad that you are feeling better now you have gone back on to 5mg.

Yeah. It's like you're going round in circles. I think that's why there's no point trying to come off for a while now. I think that's good that you're ok most of the time. I know what you mean, the hard parts are when you're feel low and anxious. You just feel like you'd do anything to make it go away. You're doing so well not going back on 10 though. I think I would've given in by now, I can't even last a day without going back on something.

Maybe sjw is worth a go then. It'd be interesting to see whether it helps. That might be the final push to get off citalopram that we need.

True, Christmas isn't the easiest time to come off, especially when you get into Jan! Maybe mid January might be a good time. I know I say this now but knowing what I'm like, I'll have one good day and decide that's it, I can cope, then it'll be two steps back again! Hopefully I can stick to 5 for a whole though

Keep me updated on 5mg hope it's getting better. Slow and steady!

Hi T2711, how are you getting on on the 5mg, are you still OK? I am still struggling on the 5, very reluctant to go back to 10 but sometimes I feel I really need to then I worry that I may get side effects of increasing again, did you when you went back on to 5? I seem to be fine when I am doing things but when I think about the anxiety it seems to come back, I wish I could just get it out of mind, easier said than done.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information