Thread: I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF - Had a blood test today!

I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF - Had a blood test today!

Hello everyone, I'd just like to share my story as I know there are other people out there who are as scared or more scared than me about having blood tests.

I woke up this morning earlier than usual to get ready and of course this psychologically reminded me of getting up early for exams...but instead I was going to have a needle in my arm later on. So I began to panic.

Usually when I panic I drink a load of water to calm me down, and so I did. I didn't know that this can actually help the nurse in finding a vein! But I drank like 3 glasses today. I tried to not think about what was going to happen later so I just thought about something else that was equally mind consuming, thinking about my holiday that I'm going on in a week cheered me up substantially.

In the waiting room I was a wreck but at the same time I was just thinking, "it will be over in ten minutes, less probably." And then I got called in. I think the most important thing to do at this point was to tell the nurse of my worries, which I did and exaggerated a little for good measure. E.g., "I am so scared. Honestly. Really really really scared. Never had this done before. Scared." and then pull this face

She told me to lie down on the bed thing, and if the nurse doesn't ask you to, ask her to as it will ease the anxiety a little (at least, it did for me.) Then ask her to talk to you throughout the whole thing because then you can concentrate on the conversation instead of your arm. NOTE: do not under any circumstance look at your arm. My friend made that mistake and I think the sight of something foreign in her body scared her. Don't look at it and you'll most likely be fine

So it was rather uncomfortable and barely painful but I think that's because I made myself distracted so my mind didn't think "oh shit some pain well thats it for me better faint bye bye now" Afterwards she gave me a sticker. woohoo!

so yeah I really hope this post helps some people and I just want you all to know, if you're scared you can overcome it if you are determined to do it. If I wasn't determined and didn't think, "If I don't do this now, I'll never do it," I'd have made the appointment with reception but moped in bed instead of leaving the house for it, worrying even more if I have X disease

"Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future."

Audrey Hepburn

Re: I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF - Had a blood test today!

Many congratulations!

I had one about 2 months ago, and it took me about 4 years to get there so I know exactly what you mean!

Well done! I used to be extremely phobic about this. I had a specific fear which I shan't mention, you probably know it. BUT if you tell the nurse it's a worry, you are fine, Well done!!! Big for you and your sticker!! x

woohoo! thanks guys we will get there

"Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future."

Audrey Hepburn

Well done hun

Thankfully I'm not phobic with needles, but I'm phobic of hospitals, so I know just what it's like to have to face that.

You did brilliant, be proud hun

thank you AuntieM i also have a fear of hospitals!! so i begged to get it done at the GP haha im glad its over, its the best bit for sure

Audrey Hepburn

Thread Information