Thread: Ibs

Ibs

Hi really worried at mo I suffer with health anxiety have had loose stools for about 4 weeks now and a pressure up my rectum with cramping pains has anyone else experienced this with ibs I've also just been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid can anyone help please x

Re: Ibs

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Lilyandalfie,

Sorry that you are feeling horrible at the moment.

Hmm. It's a tricky one this.

It may well be that your symptoms could be either or. An overactive thyroid can cause more frequent bowel motions and diarrhoea, but then so too can IBS. It may be hard to pinpoint which is causing your symptoms right now, as the stress from your HA and diagnosis could be flaring up your IBS. The fact you are having pressure up the rectum and cramps edges more towards IBS, but hard to say.

I have IBS and I have had those symptoms too. I get pressure up my back passage which is worst when I sit down (I get like a shooting pain) and cramping pain on my left side.

I swing between constipation and loose stools.

There are some things that can help. For the cramps there are two things I personally take - Busopan (which stops the spasms/cramps) and Motilium10 (which helps with the bloating, any nausea). I have found Motilium the most helpful lately.

Both you can buy over the counter.

I also find that bananas are extremely helpful in calming cramps. They help add bulk to your bowel, and it is when there is a bit of bulk there that the cramps calm down. Chamomile and Peppermint tea are also very good - chamomile helps relax both you and the stomach, peppermint helps with the trapped wind and bloating, which helps in turn with the pain. Increasing your fibre sometimes also helps a lot, but this is can be a bit hit and miss and it depends on your personal tolerance to fibre, but you might benefit if you are having loose stools hun. You can either do this through diet, or you can buy some Fybogel sachets over the counter too. They are small sachets of high fibre which you mix in water and drink. They help bulk up the bowel and get your stools back to normal again.

I find a heat pad/hot water bottle also very calming for IBS pain.

I guess you will be starting treatment for your thyroid, so hopefully if your symptoms are related to that, things will settle down for your hun.

All the best.x

Hi thanks for taking time to reply I'm on tabs for overactive thyroid been on then for a few weeks but apparently they take up to 8 weeks to feel the full benefit.......my cramps have calmed own a lot it's just the peculiar dull ache and pressure up my bum that's taking it's time to go ...... Peppermint tea is good ive tried that and thanks for all your other recommendations hopefully if I can calm down a bit and give it a bit of time my body will sort itself out x

Thread Information