Hi, I was hit with a viral infection about a week ago which prevented me from sleeping due to sinus pain- completely normal and not out of the ordinary but for some reason I then began to feel anxious about not being able to get to sleep even after all my viral symptoms had vanished... In total I had about 7 nights of no sleep. I just made myself panic in bed and then towards the end of the week it had taken over my mind and was the only thing I could think about 'would I be able to sleep tonight.' My pressure to be able to sleep was made worse because I have a 2year old son to look after.

I finally hit breaking point yesterday and went to the doctors who although said he didn't think I was depressed, said I could become depressed should my problem carry on and therefore prescribed me with 30mg Mirtazapine to tackle the anxiety and insomnia. I took my first tablet last night at around 8pm and fell asleep within the hour, I woke up about 9am the next day and have felt quite sleepy most of today. I am a little wary of being on this medication as I feel I would be myself should I be able to get to sleep normally again but on the otherhand am not sure if I've possibly just triggered off some anxiety that I've always had. I have always been an anxious person but not to the extend where I would feel I need help. Will it be easy to come off Mirtazpine or is it likely that I will find some dependance on it for going to sleep? I'm worried because the main component in my cycle of anxiety..is the sleep, so would hope that once I've finished and decided to come off Mirtazpine..I will be able to and will be able to continue sleeping properly.. I'm only 22 and have never ever been on antidepressants before, and it just worries me that I don't really need them..