Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prescribed Mirtazapine due to Anxiety over short term Insomnia problem

Re: Prescribed Mirtazapine due to Anxiety over short term Insomnia problem

Hi Rachy,

I'm like you - the mirtazapine fixed my sleep and night-time anxiety, but I still had anxiety during the day. I added pregabalin, and it worked wonders in clearing up the day-time anxiety. If you want to go down the extra medication road, it's worth trying - it doesn't work for everyone.

It's something I could keep in mind. I don't think my anxiety is as crippling as it is for some people...or atleast it's not as crippling as it was before I started taking mirtazapine. I was literally in a pit of despair at the beginning...so I'm hoping that the new 45mg dose that I started last night will just help push everything along that little bit more. I have waaaay too much time on my hands which isn't helpful for my anxiety... I function absolutely fine day to day...I just have moments where I feel quite upset and jittery xx

More crap nights sleep for me. Could not get off last night so took half a zopiclone reluctantly.
    Am tempted to try and reduce my 30mg mirt to 15mg to try and get the sleep benefit associated with the lower dose.
    Having said that, when I was on 15mg originally, my sleep was still not good. Also being on the orodispersable tablets mean splitting them is not easy.
    My brain just does not seem to have an off switch and as soon as I get sleepy it clicks back into gear. Tried meditation and relaxation but nothing really works.
    Really do not want to take zop regularly.

I'm suprised that the 30mg doesn't send you to sleep...even more suprised that the 15mg doesnt give you perfect sleep either! I know what you mean about the zopiclone, I had a funny reaction the last time I took it...but that was when I was struggling on citalopram! I started burning all over my body..I literally felt like I was on fire..it was weird

I think the mirt is helping me deal with the next day effects of poor sleep.
    Not getting too down about it, but do feel frustrated and sad and on the days where I have slept okay, feeling energised is amazing but not something I can take for granted anymore.
    Good nights breed good ones and bad one breed bad ones I find.
    Would love to know whether the depression causes the insomnia or other way round.

I have never been on a SSRI for sleep. I was given Minipress for sleep and Effexor which is in the same class as mirtazapine for my mood/ PTSD issues. SSRI would keep me stable through the day and when I was having an anxiety episode I would take Aterax. < if I am spelling that correctly. Minipress is used to slow the heart rate down before I go to sleep to help me calmly go to sleep and stay asleep for at least 8 hours wearas I was lucky to get about 4 hours of sleep a night without being awoken with night terrors or alertness to any noise. If it is helping you sleep I would stick to it but if it keeps you tired throughout the day, maybe take it an hour or even farther out before you go to bed to not have the effects last the next day. I had to do this with Minipress in order from falling asleep the next day after taking it.

Keggsy...that's a good question because for me... the sleep problem no longer remains..and actually didn't before I started on the mirtazapine...I ended up taking the mirtazapine because I ended up feeling bad in the day. My anxiety and breakdown was triggered by insomnia which made it into a viscious circle...I wouldn't say I was depressed before the breakdown... the doctor told me that I was becoming depressed because of the lack of sleep, so I think it can work both ways.. xx

Yeah rachy, it is the proverbial chicken and egg.
    For me it is the insomnia that causes the anxiety and depression or certainly heightens it.
    Always been a bit of a worrier but last 3 months have been so bad.
    Need to focus on my sleep CBT stuff and consider the hard sleep restriction therapy.
    X

I just find it all so weird how, I was absolutely fine.... and then suddenly I get poorly with a sinus infection- can't sleep..and for some reason I do not know..I panicked and got myself into the insomnia rut- the more you try to sleep..the worse it gets! I just find it bizzarre that even though I got my sleep sorted on my own without medication...I still ended up a anxious wreck everyday! I guess though...it was just waiting to happen with all the stress I've been under in the last few years..everyone has that line where it can all bubble over. I was starting to feel a bit better on my new 45mg dose...had felt the most normal I have done in the whole 6months since it started..but I went out last night- had a few glasses of wine and although it had no affect on me last night or this morning...I have felt noticeably more anxious today! Hoping it's just the alcohol..I'll be happy if that's the reason! lol xx

It might be rebound from the wine. It's a matter of trial and error to find out how much you can drink and be okay, but it's likely to be less than before when combined with mirtazapine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information