Thread: Panic Attack - New Symptom

Panic Attack - New Symptom

Hi all

Not been on here for a while, as I was mostly stable. I have just been changed to Sertraline, and just today have been increased from 50mg to 100mg.

This was around 7 hours ago. I just had the worst panic attack I have had for a long time and experienced a symptom I never have before. I have had this long enough to know that most symptoms during panic are panic related.

I was getting anxious, and starting to panic a little. I started to eat my dinner to try and get through it. I went to lift my fork to my mouth and my arm just dropped like I had no control over it. I got another fork full and than same happened again. This of course gave me a massive panic attack where I was convinced I was dying, shouting at my OH to phone an ambulance.

I am not a lot calmer although still feel like I am "on the verge" of another.

Mainly I was just wondering if anyone else had ever experienced this or is it something I should get checked out.

I should mention I am not typing with said dodgy arm, but it does feel a little weak.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Just realised this should probably have been in the symptom forum. Apologies.

Re: Panic Attack - New Symptom

Sorry to hear you have had a scare Liam.Which arm was it?Both my arms get weak and kind of heavy.Usually in the morning because I get a bit anxious around getting up time.But I know its due to breathing wrong.Could that possibly be the reason for you also?

It wasn't really a heavy feeling, it was like I had totally lost control of the arm. Like when you have slept on your arm and you try to look at your watch and smack yourself in the face (happened once or twice to me :-))

Anyway, I'm on day 3 of 100mg and seem to have less and less patience.

Anyone else found this.

Actually maybe it was something similar to what I experienced just before going on meds.I was on a walk and my arms felt like they wanted to do there own thing.Even felt like they were going to dislocate themselves.My left arm was especially bad and I had to hold it up and against my body.It was very scary.From what the doc said its a nervous system problem and with time when it calms down it should get better.It has.My muscles in my kneck also seized around that time and I am pretty sure a nerve was trapped also.The meds are tough in the beginning.I would not of managed without taking Lyrica alongside to begin.The only other way to lessen the start up effects is to increase gradually.All the best.

Hi Liam,
    I do get real heaviness in my arms once in awhile. As if they aren't even part of my body. I've come to realize when this happens, I've been holding a LOT of tension in my shoulders without realizing it.
    R.T.

Thread Information