Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About to start Escitalopram, few questions...

About to start Escitalopram, few questions...

Hi, I'm just looking for some advice if possible.

I'm not new to anxiety (had it 8 years) but I am very new to SSRI's. I've never taken any medication before for anxiety partly because I was too young, partly because by the time I was old enough I had gone through health anxiety and so become petrified of taking meds, getting ill, side effects etc.

I'm 20 years old now and I've got a prescription for Escitalopram, I have 2 weeks worth before I will be returning to my GP to check up. She's started me with 5mg, which I'm glad as I know this is a low dose?

So I have some questions:

1. What time is best to take them? My GP said in the morning with yoghurt?

2. What sort of side effects are to be expected of this dose and how severe? (I know everyone is different but just want a general idea of what to expect so I can atleast be prepared and put a plan together to try and ease them)

3. Should you need to increase dose, how long is roughly best to wait before increasing?

4. What is the most common dose for this medication?

5. How effective has it been for you? In particular, for social anxiety/phobias etc.

If you have any other tips/advice etc that would be greatly appreciated!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."

Re: About to start Escitalopram, few questions...

Hi JJ,

I've been on and off Escitalopram over the past 10 years, so thought I could help with your questions/my experiences with it:

I've taken them both mornings and evenings, and I'm still not exactly sure when is best. I started off taking them mornings, but found I felt zonked out during the rest of the day, so changed to evenings. I think that doctors recommend mornings so the anxiety has a good chance to be controlled during the daytime having taken the med, but I think that timings can be quite subjective.

2. What sort of side effects are to be expected of this dose and how severe? (I know everyone is different but just want a general idea of what to expect so I can atleast be prepared and put a plan together to try and ease them)

The worst initial side effect I had was nausea and lack of appetite. Feeling queasy but not actually being sick though. I also felt very sleepy and wiped out initially. Those were the only two physical effects. The mental effects I had was feeling edgy, a bit spaced out and tearful and a slight heightening of the anxiety, but these are all perfectly normal, and do not last. Keeping busy and distracted helped me a lot, as well as lots of support and hugs from family/people closest to me.

3. Should you need to increase dose, how long is roughly best to wait before increasing?

Hmm..this is a hard one. This is very subjective and everyone is different. It really depends how you yourself are managing and doing with the dose you are taking. The usual recommendation for panic/anxiety with Escitalopram is starting at 5mg for a week or two and then increasing to 10mg, and that is what I am on now personally, but I know other people have started at higher doses, and then need increases on top of that, but it really depends on how anxious you are initially, and how you manage once on the prescribed dose, and whether it is working for you. I have been told 2-4 weeks initially to see the full effects, then review from there, but in my experience, I can tell within 2-3 weeks how much better I am or not.

I honestly don't know hun. I have only ever been on 5mg initially then 10mg. Highest dose I was ever on was 20mg. I am not sure what the most common dose is, as everyone is different.

5. How effective has it been for you? In particular, for social anxiety/phobias etc.

For me, very effective. All of my mental symptoms go. It just relaxes my whole mind so I can function without fear. I do still get wobbles of anxiety now and then but nothing like as bad as full blown anxiety and panic.

Hope this helps! x

Thanks so much debs for that, that's exactly the sort of answers I was hoping for and the little details really help!

How long did your side effects last for?

Everytime I read other threads I invision the side effects to be like having a stomach bug or something terrible, I think you tend to imagine the very worst. Obviously the side effects won't be nice but I'm sure I can deal with queasy as long as I don't actually be sick. I'm going to try to keep busy too so hopefully that will help, got some decorating & D.I.Y to help with which I love, kind of weird like that

I think I'll stick with morning for the first 2 weeks as my GP says (don't want to get in trouble!) and see how that goes.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it you take them for? xx

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."

Not at all! I initially (mannnnny years ago now) was prescribed them for anxiety and panic which stemmed from depression, but I now take them for purely anxiety and panic attacks.

This time I restarted them (about a month ago) the side effects lasted about 2 weeks max, then I saw a vast improvement. The mental side effects lasted around 1.5 weeks but the nausea lasted 2 weeks. It literally was just feeling queasy, kind of like that 'urrgghh' feeling when you think of eating.

Keeping active definitely helps a lot, as it minimises the time you can focus on how you are feeling. Good luck with the old DIY! X

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    Not at all! I initially (mannnnny years ago now) was prescribed them for anxiety and panic which stemmed from depression, but I now take them for purely anxiety and panic attacks.

This time I restarted them (about a month ago) the side effects lasted about 2 weeks max, then I saw a vast improvement. The mental side effects lasted around 1.5 weeks but the nausea lasted 2 weeks. It literally was just feeling queasy, kind of like that 'urrgghh' feeling when you think of eating.

Keeping active definitely helps a lot, as it minimises the time you can focus on how you are feeling. Good luck with the old DIY! X
    Thanks so much debs, that helps a lot, I'm feeling much more prepared now xx

Hi there
    Ive been on them for 6 years. I take them at night as I find they make me tired but its personal choice and trial and error. I am on 10 mg. I started at 5 for a couple of weks and then increase. I found the initial side effects were just feeling of being more anxious but the side effects didnt increase when i increased the dose.

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    I found the initial side effects were just feeling of being more anxious but the side effects didnt increase when i increased the dose.
    No, nor me bab, Thank goodness.

Hope you are doing ok, JJ.X

I have been on Cipralex for a year, so i will answer your questions as well.

I take mine (5 mg) in the mornings before work. I usually have a bowl of cereal and a banana with it.

I found the first few weeks a little tougher, but definitely manageable. I found myself being really high or really low. I lost my appetite in the beginning in the mornings but i forced myself to eat, that only lasted a month. I found myself drowsy quite a bit when my system was getting used to the med as well as I would get body flushes whenever i had anxiety. All weren't severe, and very manageable.

I am no doctor, but i'd give it 4 to 6 weeks personally, i have never needed more then 5 mg daily, so I am on that same dosage to this day.

10 mg a day i find is the most common dosage from what i've read.

Prior to starting on Cipralex, I had never been on any meds for my longtime anxiety before. It has worked wonders for me. I am not completely cured as there is no cure, but my life is about 90% improved from the day i started taking Cipralex. Its been a great med for me.

If you have any other tips/advice etc that would be greatly appreciated!

For me the secret was to just try and keep your life as normal and routine as possible, while adjusting to the med which could take up to 8 weeks. There were a few rough days in the beginning, but nothing major. Make sure you get your sleep, if your body needs to sleep.. SLEEP! Secondly, i personally wouldnt up the med dosage until any side effects from the original dosage have subsided.

Good Luck!

Mike
    Last edited by Tunnel; 29-10-13 at 17:12.

Smile Re: About to start Escitalopram, few questions...

Hi I am new to the forum but have found loads of good advice and support already!! Been on Cipralex 5mg for anxiety for 9 days. I haven't noticed any difference yet is it a bit early? Side effects not too bad nausea and increased anxiety for a few days. If I have to increase will I get even worse side effects and basically be starting from scratch? Tunnel you said you noticed a difference straight away on 5mg - is this unusual? I don't know how long I should keep trying the 5mg? Thanks for your advice!!

I'm on 20mg's and actually split my dose, I dunno why...I just do and take 10mg when I wake up not even with food and then the other 10 at bed time. I did have side effects in the beginning but like Mike as said nothing too terrible, I had a lot of headaches I think, the loss of wanting to eat for about a week or so, hot flashing, a bit of nervousness and then at other times felt quite flat but it all passed very quickly and I soon started having very good days. I still find mornings hardest as not quite there yet even after a year on the meds but I have only just gone to full dose as was super afraid of side effects and I literally had none going up for 10 to 20mg's so could kick myself. It has def been the easiest SSRI I ever been on for me personally to tolerate. All the best my luv xx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information