Thread: My boyfriends gets attached to fictional characters

My boyfriends gets attached to fictional characters

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I have this problem that's not actually about me but my boyfriend. We go to high school together, different classes, he's 16 and one year younger than me. He suffers from social anxiety and simply cannot start a conversation to anyone except me, probably because we know each other since babies cause our moms are good friends. This might sound stupid but I think that because of his social anxiety, he's obsessing over fictional characters like from books, movies, anime, etc. and sees them as his friends. When we are together he talks about them all the time and how he feels them as real and as his friends. I'm starting to worry because this is not healthy. I want to tell my mom but if I do, she will tell his mom and he'll probably get mad at me. He used to visit a psychologist who actually diagnosed with with social anxiety two years ago but then he stopped going. Now I can tell, he's not very good, he doesn't talk to people, he just talks to me and when he does, it's all about stupid fictional characters that are so perfect to him. What should I do? Do you think him being antisocial might be connected to this? I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I just don't know what to do anymore.

Re: My boyfriends gets attached to fictional characters

Hi Amber Do you ever get chance to talk to his mum on your own? It may be that getting attached to things like fictional characters is something your boyfriend has done from a very early age, and isn't strictly connected to social anxiety... or it could be a consolation for not having many friends. There are other conditions where people have poor social skills, and who do attach to clothes/objects/characters almost obsessively, but this is more on the autistic scale than purely an anxiety issue..

You sound a really good and caring friend, & maybe it would be fine for you to talk to his mum out of concern without him knowing. But if not, just accept him as he is - some people just find making friends too stressful to attempt.

Well he's never been very communicative but this obsession over characters started about one year ago. I really want to talk to him mom but I'm scared that it might not be what he wants and if she tells him anything about this he'll be mad at me I accept him the way he is but I'm afraid that this could be something serious, cause he sees those characters as friends instead of real life people :/

Have you tried talking to him about it?

Yes and he told me to stay out of that.

Oh dear :( Well there's probably not much you can do.... the last thing you want is to alienate him by pushing the issue. Just tell him if he ever wants to talk, you'll listen, and maybe he'll grow out of this phase in time.

I hope he will grow out the phase :( Thank you anyway!

You're welcome, honey. I hope it all works out ok.

???

I am like him. I can't help it... My boyfriend doesn't complain about it..

.....and a ninja.

Thread Information