Thread: I need to be better for my new job.

I need to be better for my new job.

What does one do when one is training for a job which will require him to drive from venue to venue when he can't understand how he is managing to control a vehicle?

I drove on the motorway the other day, at least I think I did. Cos I didn't really feel any connection between me and the car. I had no emotion towards what I was doing, things that are happening in the world really seem too odd to be actually happening.

My latest problem is also speech. It feels far too automatic, I can't work out how I am shaping words. I feel like the talking is coming from somewhere else, not my brain. Yet sometimes I seem to chat away about things that I'm not even sure exist, and that doesn't seem to be happening to me.

It's like several different people are controlling me or that I'm slipping out of several stages if consciousness.
    Help.

Re: I need to be better for my new job.

Hi, it sounds like you're experiencing derealisation and/or depersonalisation. This is when your mind retreats into a defensive state in order to prevent you from getting overwhelmed or overloaded. They are very, very common in anxiety conditions and can also be caused by medication. They are harmless.

Because you're seeing threats everywhere due to anxiety, your way of perceiving the world has changed. Everything seems disconnected and strange because you feel like you've lost your place in the world. You're thinking new thoughts and seeing the world through new eyes.

This is not a bad thing - don't fear it. You are going through a period of character growth. It is a normal experience, it is definitely not a harbinger of bad news, it is a natural state and you will come out of it in time. Try to get out more if you can, get used to the strangeness of doing everyday things and gradually you'll lose the sense of disconnection.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thread Information