Thread: A little support :(

A little support :(

For the last 6 months I have been going through probably the most stressful and exciting time of my life but along with all the excitement I have been suffering terribly with anxiety and panic.

My fiance and I got engaged in January, we've spent the last 6 months house hunting/buying a house and we move in to our new house this Friday, we have been trying to find a venue for our wedding and have now found one and set a date, we have been living with my parents for the last 3 months which has really taken it's toll and, on top of all of that, I am desperately unhappy in my job but have stuck it out because we needed the money for the house. So a lot of exciting times as well as pressing times.

I have been feeling the usual panicky symptoms - chest pain, dizziness, hot flushes, aches and pains as well as full blown attacks which, for me, consist of a sudden urge to leave the situation I'm in as if I've all of a sudden become claustrophobic and feel I'm going to pass out. I'm also having lots of acid reflux and heartburn - does anyone have this with anxiety/panic?

Only recently have I been having the panic attacks and I think I've done quite well not to have one up to this point but the anxiety of the last 6 months has caused me to lose a stone in weight and I'm quite a slim person anyway.

I have palpitations all the time, aches in my arms and armpits, a constant fear that if I leave the house or go out to the shops on my own I'm going to drop dead and no one I know or love will be around me.

It seems so irrational to be writing it down now but at the time it feels like a certain possibility. I know that I have a lot on my plate but it would be really comforting to know if anyone else shares the same symptoms I do when faced with these kind of situations.

Thanks for reading! Lou xxx

Re: A little support :(

This is like reading my own story,

I had a panic attack today going to the newsagents across the road simply because I was worried about having a panic attack in there and no one helping me.

I have ran out of shopping centres, cancelled things last minute and had to leave half way through restaurant meals simply because I could not cope with the situation, I felt like I couldn't breath and if anyone tried to put a reassuring arm around me it made it worse, I felt trapped.

I have lost over a stone in weight in the past year from anxiety/panic attacks and not being able to eat a meal unless it is in my own home and made by myself.

You are not alone here

Hi Lou, we've all been there and done that. It's very common to have the anxiety symptoms you're describing considering you're going through some stress.

Here are some recommendations I can give you. First, find at least 20-30 minutes of some "downtime" to calm your body two or three times per day. For example, go lay down on the couch or still in a comfortable chair so you can rest your body. I would only do this when you're not feeling anxious.

Second, definitely read the articles this site has to offer. They are very useful and provide great tips on how to cope with your panic and anxiety.

Overall, while your symptoms may feel real and alarming, rest assure they will do no harm to you; only plain ol' discomfort. Don't give up and have patience, all it takes is practice with the tools and techniques you have!

I think my anxiety rose when I moved and planned my wedding. Although it is an exciting time in your life it does come with its stresses (the biggest stresses are those that involve change and little control).

You have done a lot in a very short space of time and I think you need to start relaxing more. Take a break from wedding planning because, believe me, you need it. Once you get to the 'three months to go' stage it's all systems go, so enjoy the break now. Do things that encourage relaxation, like having a long soak in the bath, reading, drawing, anything that helps you relax.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Thanks for the replies. It's very helpful to hear people go through the same thing.

I'm hoping once we settle into the house things will be easier. It's very hard for me to not start looking for a new job now but I think that might not be the best idea at the moment.

Last night I got a funny electric shock type feeling in my left arm and shoulder, my pulse was racing and I just burst into tears. This happened twice and I spent about an hour just crying without really knowing why.

I'm assuming this is just tension release. I'd much rather cry it all out than deal with the physical symptoms of panic and anxiety xxx

Hi lou,it amazes me how some members here with such awful anxiety symptoms are holding down jobs never mind running a family i was forced to stop working i was just far too ill.Maybe you should see your doctor,you could get some medication to keep you much calmer and help you cope.You shouldn't have to suffer like this x

Thread Information