Thread: STD Fear - Irrational?

STD Fear - Irrational?

Haven't been able to shake this fear today. Been Googling for hours(whoops) and now can't sleep. Hoping someone can talk some sense in to me.

Today I got a dry/painful corner of my mouth and went to Google. Herpes came up & pretty soon I was looking up symptoms of every STD and scared myself to death because every one of them could have next to no symptoms. I fear giving or getting something from my new girlfriend.

I know I have had this lip thing in the past, numerous times. Always thought chapped lips.... But still I am thinking it could be/always have been herpes? I also have noticed pimples in the pubic region over the years, even have some now, but I never thought anything of it. Figured just follicultis as I have this elsewhere.

I am not sure what I have been tested for in the past. But I do have yearly physicals with blood-work/urine samples. I've really only had 2 partners in my life. Both solid relationships. So it's not like my risk is that high. But still there are enough signs that I am worried.

I guess the fear is mainly of not being able to have normal relationships this time. Not so much a fear of health as I know I was tested for at least HIV in the past.

Can't shake it tonight. Any advice?

Re: STD Fear - Irrational?

Hi Patrick, sorry you're going through this at the moment.

I'm surprised in all your googling that you didn't read that the herpes virus that gives you sores on your mouth is a separate strain from the one that gives you sores on your genitals.

Herpes simplex, the one that will give you sores on your mouth, is incredibly common and it absolutely does not mean that you will get type two, the STD.

If you have a coldsore you'd know it. They sting badly and itch for a couple of days before turning into blisters that fill with pus and scab over. Sounds gross, but it's pretty recognisable and will be totally different to a patch of dry skin on your mouth.

My advice is to ask your doctor or pharmacist about the dry skin if it is bothering you. I get this sometimes when the weather gets colder and usually I just drink more water and use a moisturiser on it.

Stay away from google! It's doing you more harm than good!

Herpes - HSV1 and HSV2 are different strains of the same virus, both sexually transmitted, kissing and otherwise. They both cause similar symptoms and discomfort. Type 1 is typically found orally. The "cold sore" on your lip, mouth face is HSV1. You can also get type one genitally as well. Type 2 is typically genital and rarely transferred to the mouth area but it can happen as well as on other parts of the body. For whatever reason (perhaps the location), type 1 doesn't carry the same stigma as type 2 but it really should as they're both uncomfortable and highly contagious when active. Many people never show symptoms or know they have it, yet can be contagious when the virus is active.

One in 4 people worldwide have one or the other. It's not the end of the world or your social life but when in doubt, get tested. If you have it, it is something to discuss with potential partners. There's a 25% chance they have it too!

HPV, the virus that causes genital warts, is another everyone should be aware of. Over 80% of the sexually active population has been exposed or has/had it. There is a vaccine for it and I highly recommend getting it as it's becoming a more prevalent cause of oral cancers (Michael Douglas being one of the more famous examples). Even though I was a smoker/drinker for much of my life, my cancer was caused by the HPV16 strain of the virus and was thought to have started in the oropharynx.

SO..... that being said. It's prudent to be tested for STDs and proper precautions/protection are a no brainer. A frank and open conversation with a potential long term partner is wise as well.

This is NOT meant to scare you but to make you aware of the facts. It's common sense advice as well.

Good luck!
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi!

I am a sufferer of coldsores! but this doesn't mean I have genital Herpes. I think something silly like 80% of the population carry the virus that gives us cold sores (not the same as genital herpes) but not everyone breaks out in it. However it goes without saying that having oral intercourse is not recommended if you do have a cold sore.

My friend was recently diagnosed with Genital Herpes - her partner gave it to her even though he knew he had it! She went to her GP and they were able to tell her then and there that she had it just by looking. If your worried just go see your GP, but im sure the pimples you speak of are simply normal skin pigmentation x

Thread Information