Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw I, II and III and horror films and anxiety

Saw I, II and III and horror films and anxiety

Hi there

Had an interesting converasation today. Chatting about warnings that people with mental health issues should avoid seeing Saw III. I have had saw sat on my shelf and have not found anyone to watch it with me (since long before my anxiety started), well I figured face my fears and watch it alone. I couldn't so I switched it off. I love horror films.

I watched the hills have eyes on valium and well it proved the valium was working, as it didn't give me the bus.

Just thought I'd start a thread of horror films.

It occurred to me the reason I liked horror films, is the scared buzz you get. Which is kind of an adranelin hit.

However I have been known to get a bit anxious watching some films, mostly these are connected to when people are trapped, I enjoy them but will hide a lot, scream alot, get a funny breathless moment. Pause it and re-start it and definitely watch it once.

May eventually watch all 3 of the Saw films.

Love my horror and pychological thrillers and this has kinda of been ruined for me by bloody anxiety.

Not on valium anymore.

Any thoughts

I like a good scary movie every now and again, but give me a comedy or a love story any day. my favorite movies are foreign and sub-titled. something about having to read the screen settles me down to actually watch the darn thing. Saw- no way, just not my type of flick.
    Sheryl

P.S. if you want to watch a good movie, watch "House of Flying Daggers" excellent movie.

Sheryl

I hate scary films. Don't see the point in making myself feel more anxious than I am already!

My son went to see Saw 3 last week. He said it was the most gory film he has ever watched.

Kate x

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

I have heard of house of flying daggers. I love kung fu hustle fantastic film. Love movies. My point is I guess I am avoiding films I previously would get enjoyment out of, rightingly so probably in the case of saw I guess, but I firm believer in don't knock it till you tried and I won't avoid anything, fear of fear. Some films relieve my anxiety, make me feel good, loved the reise weitherspoon film 'just like heaven' fantastic made me laugh and cry, it had a happy ending.

I hate them. Even before the anxiety I wouldn't watch them.

I like those old 1950s black and white horror movies because for some reason they make me laugh. [:I]

But really - you're talking to the person that sat through Sixth Sense staring at the ceiling in the cinema. [^]

Hi,

My daughter went to see Saw 3 last week, she said it was the scariest of the three, she said the man sat in front of her in the cinema had to walk out! I have seen saw 1 and 2 but i think i will give 3 a miss !!

Love

Andrea
    xxx

I spent years avoiding horror movies, especilaly films like the exorcist. I still wont watch the freddie films and although i have seen the omen I wont watch them again or poltergeist but I do love the scream movies.

I am fine with things that I know could never happen, or things that are just so stupid that its funny. But anything to do with cults I will not watch.

I did however one day decide to watch the exorcist, my anxiety went through the roof, but after watching it i felt so bllomin stupid, it was tamer than the films they put on today, and I actually was quite disappointed. My advise dont stop watching them. I did for years and am glad I have over the majority of my fears about them.

I too love the old black and white films and I have seen saw 1 & 2 as for 3 well not sure now but I think I will have a go. I can always watch abbot and costello afterwards if i get too anxious.

Just remember its not real and it cant harm you just like our panic attacks

sue

xxx

scknight

I love supernatural thrillers, but the sort of human depravity in movies like saw simply is too unappealing for me to watch. I don't think it had much to do with anxiety but an over-active sense of empathy (I can be wrecked for days over a friend's hardships).

Oh, and I saw the Exorcist when I was 14 and my anxiety went CRAZY. I was up all night certain that I would go to hell - not because of the devil or anything in the movie, but because I'd seen an "R-rated" movie w/o my parents knowing it!

I used to love a good horror,halloween used to be my most scarey,the very first one.
    Now I try to avoid them as they make my anxiety alot worse.I dont mind a horror with a good story, a creepy film,but not into these blood thirsty ones any more.
    Give me officer and a gentleman any time.[Yeah!][:P]

Ellen XX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information