Thread: Pregabalin (Lyrica) 300mg single daily dose

Pregabalin (Lyrica) 300mg single daily dose

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here.

I have a question re Pregabalin, which I hope someone out there can help to answer.

About 6 weeks ago I was prescribed Pregabalin for the first time, starting on a very low dose of 50 mg per day. The psychiatrist who gave me the original prescription suggested that I slowly up the dosage and see how I get on. So up until yesterday I was taking 300 mg per day in 2 divided doses. My dilemma is yesterday I got a new prescription and the GP gave me 300 mg capsules, rather than the 150 mg capsules I had before.

For me it makes no difference, as I can still maintain the current dosage of 300 mg per day, but the difference is this morning I took this dosage in one hit. I have to say that I felt almost immediately better, whereas on the divided dose it didn't have much effect. I was really surprised because recently I've been struggling with both quite severe depression and GAD, especially when I'm at work and today work was okay and my mood was good for the first time in a very long time.

Apologies if that is all a bit longwinded, my question is basically: is it okay to take Pregabalin this way, i.e. in one dose, rather than 2 or 3? I know in all the literature it says to divide the dose, but does anyone else have experience of taking their Pregabalin just in the mornings like me?

Re: Pregabalin (Lyrica) 300mg single daily dose

I had to take it 2 or 3 times a day to consistently help with anxiety and the evidence states that this is the most effective way to take Pregabalin. However, if taking it once a day works for you, carry on with it. It will be interesting to see how you feel in the morning - 24 hours after your last dose and whether you get a peak in anxiety (I hope you don't) It could be that you are a slow metaboliser and you don't clear the drug from your system quickly and once daily dosing is right for you, most of the drug research is done on Joe Average and we don't all fit into the 'normal' category. Trial and error and do what's right for you.

Someone on NMP takes it once a day, I can't remember who though It'll be on one of the Pregabalin threads and they say it works good for them.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

If it works for you go with it

Whatever works is okay, but if 300 mg in the morning made you feel better during the day but you notice a fading off at night, maybe you need to up the dose. The maximum is 600 mg per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Toesonthenose View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here.

I have a question re Pregabalin, which I hope someone out there can help to answer.

About 6 weeks ago I was prescribed Pregabalin for the first time, starting on a very low dose of 50 mg per day. The psychiatrist who gave me the original prescription suggested that I slowly up the dosage and see how I get on. So up until yesterday I was taking 300 mg per day in 2 divided doses. My dilemma is yesterday I got a new prescription and the GP gave me 300 mg capsules, rather than the 150 mg capsules I had before.

For me it makes no difference, as I can still maintain the current dosage of 300 mg per day, but the difference is this morning I took this dosage in one hit. I have to say that I felt almost immediately better, whereas on the divided dose it didn't have much effect. I was really surprised because recently I've been struggling with both quite severe depression and GAD, especially when I'm at work and today work was okay and my mood was good for the first time in a very long time.

Apologies if that is all a bit longwinded, my question is basically: is it okay to take Pregabalin this way, i.e. in one dose, rather than 2 or 3? I know in all the literature it says to divide the dose, but does anyone else have experience of taking their Pregabalin just in the mornings like me?

Hi there Toesonthenose,

I have been prescribed Pregabalin and have been taking it for a couple of months now, and I have to say it is the best medication for anxiety I have had so far.

I was told to take mine (also 300 mg) twice a day, morning and evening. I started on 100 mg, then increased to 200 mg and since yesterday 300 mg. Maybe it might be worth contacting your doctor to see if it would be better to have the tablets in smaller increments so that you could split it? If you find taking it once a day suits you, you could stick as you are. This is just my opinion of course, from my own experience.

I really hope you continue to feel better and my very best to you.

J xxxx

All the pregabalin I have seen comes in capsules. It is possible to divide a dose by cutting open a capsule and mixing the contents in a glass of water, then drinking a half or third of the water. Not the best way to do things, but it works.

Thread Information