Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregabalin Weight Gain

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Re: Pregabalin Weight Gain

If it is working for you then cost should not come into it!!!

There is nothing that works like pregabalin. It is expensive because it is new and Lyrica have the license still. Your GP will want you to stay on something that works for you.

...and why would you want to change it if it is working for you.....I dont understand

I dont want to change. I want to see how it goes and so far its been very good. I wont really know properly I guess until Ive fully tapered of Escitalopram. But the lady I saw said that she couldnt see the doctor allowing me to stay on it due to cost.... Even though I pay NI every month.
    I think a part of it is because i have changed meds that many times which I think annoys them.
    Thanks for posting

If you have the money, it's possible to pay for the prescription in full yourself. It's not so unbelievably expensive - about 93 Australian dollars for 56 x 300 mg capsules (four weeks at 600 mg per day). That's around 55 UK pounds for four weeks or two pounds a day (cheaper at lower doses - but check as prices may be different in the UK). To me if it works, it's worth it. I had to pay the full price as it was not subsidised in Australia for GAD. Now that I am in Japan, I think I pay the full price but get some money back through my work health insurance.

Hi hanshan,
    I did consider this and still am. It was £80 for a months worth at 150mg a day id probably like to go up a little. The effects seem to have worn of a little. Problem is I am already paying to see a private therapist so I dont think I'll be able to to afford it.

80 UK pounds a month for 150 mg per day of Lyrica sounds like daylight robbery to me.

A quick check of the internet gives online sites in Australia that sell Lyrica 56 capsules x 75 mg (ie one month at 150 mg per day) for 43 Australian dollars or around 25 UK pounds per month (compared to 80 UK pounds per month). These aren't dodgy sites - they sell branded products and must comply with regulations regarding prescriptions.

If you can get your UK prescription recognised in Australia, I'd say buy from there. It will save a lot of money

Given that it's the same company, Pfizer, marketing pregabalin worldwide, I can only speculate as to why the base cost is higher in the UK. My speculation is that the level of subsidy is higher in the EU, leading to greater demand, and higher revenue for Pfizer. In Australia, where pregabalin has not been subsidised by the government and people have to pay the full price out of their own pockets, then Pfizer doesn't charge as much, so as to increase demand. Does that make sense? Big pharma ... sucks.

Yeah, you tend to get ripped off in the UK.
    I had a massive anxiety attack last night so I guess we'll have too see how things go.
    Thanks for the advice, that is definitely something I hadn't thought of though.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Anyway I can change the thread title? I'll do this as a diary and general questions. As I'm supposed to be doing a diary with my therapist but that's more of a sleep diary.

My thoughts are ...........you will not have to pay for this as your GP will prescribe it.......why would he/she be any different to the rest of the country where it is regularly prescribed for GAD !!

Maybe she was just covering here own back. She's only a nurse but I try and see her as she is a lot more understanding than the other GPs I have seen.
    I am probably worrying over nothing.... as usual.

Dazzler..........I am gonna say it....................Yes ! you are worrying too much Now stop it and get on with your recovery. If she is the nurse you are right she is covering her back. If it works (and remember you can go up the doses to get the maximum effect) then no Dr would take it away from you!!!

Yeah I have a month to see how it goes. I had a bit of a rough day yesterday but I feel back on track today. I will try and keep everyone updated
    Now I just need to stick to my sleep schedule

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

OLh and I am going to weigh myself for the first time. Was 91kg last week. Way up and not happy but that was before the Pregabalin.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information