Thread: Health Anxiety after tapered off xanax

Health Anxiety after tapered off xanax

I have recently finished a slow taper to get rid of xanax which I took for two months during this year for anxiety. It caused dependency and bad side effects. During taper and withdrawal, I went through alot of symptoms and one of which is health anxiety. It started off with normal worries about health and then it started to get worse. I have had an extensive blood test done in August which came out normal, then a liver test (because I thought xanax though used for two months alone , could potentially cause toxins to my liver) and liver test was normal too. Then I was deadly afraid and had a mammogram done , then the fears shifted to lower back and now when I am off the xanax with the help of a very decent slow taper, I still have health anxiety. My previous doctor left and a new joined in a new surgery and she asked for a new CBC and I saw that all values are within range , one value RDW is 12 while the normal range should be between 11 and 15.2 %. The HB, white , red blood cells, glucose and all other values are normal.
    ALT for liver should be below 34 and mine is 37. Gama GT is 18 which is very much in normal range.

Now the RDW being on the lower edge of the normal curve and the ALT being 37 while it should be 34 and below is freaking me out. Doctor has declared the report as normal. My liver was extensively tested in September and every value was normal.

I have shoulder muscles aches issues so it causes headache and some times dizziness. But I am taking this now in all different meanings. If I am losing weight very little, I am starting to worry (I am overweight already). If I feeling weak legs, I am worrying. And I do think at the same time that my health anxiety is contributing to all this. I am seeing a therapist who is trying mindfulness and CBT.

PLEASE help in consoling around the blood values. Reassurance with me works alot. I feel depressed, loads of tears, no joy and just low moods.

Thank you.
    Worrier.

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

I am taking magnesium citrate 300mg a day (because I had heart palpitations before being put on xanax) , I also take fish oil tablets. Can Magnesium improve the digestive system which can aid the slow weight loss?

Re: Health Anxiety after tapered off xanax

any comment would greatly help....
    Thank you all.

Hi there,

Sorry I can't comment on the blood values as I have no idea what it all means.

Well done in getting off the Xanax, I hear that's a real nightmare.

xanax is a nightmare indeed. Its ok if you cant comment on the values. Thank you for the response though.

I am unable to comment on the test results but have been taking Xanax for 23 years. I've never reallly had any bad side effects & now take about 25% of what I used to. I had a blood test at GPs last year & all my major organs are ok including liver! I really don't think Xanax can cause any physical harm.
    In some ways my anxiety has become less manageable since cutting down on Xanax & I've become somewhat obsessive. My system probably got used to the Xanax & is now a little more sensitive & a number of bad experiences tipped the balance. Personally speaking, Xanax isn't toxic (if it was I'd be dead!) - the only thing that could impact on the liver is large quantities of strong alcohol!

Hope this helps

Thank you Lucinda07, are you still taking xanax or have you tapered off? What doses were you on. Gosh 23 yrs is a very long time. I feel xanax never suited me, it caused dependency and bad side effects. I felt like a zombie and became emotionless. During tapering of xanax, I have gone through some really bad withdrawal symptoms. And HA started as a result. I know there are people who use xanax for long and nothing happens but I am not one of those lucky ones , I guess.
    Thanks so much for the comfort on the liver side though.
    Surely helped.

Hi Worrier,

As one who has had a ridiculous amount of blood work done, I can assure you that one or two readings a couple of points outside the "normal" range, above or below, is no cause for alarm.

I had cancer treatment and chemotherapy so I can show you some totally whacked blood work and I'm fine. In fact, close to 7 months post treatment, there are still certain aspects of my blood work that are still whacked and I'm still fine. The fact that your doctor isn't concerned should tell you something. A reading has to be really off for the alarm to go off.

I can't say I have experience with Xanax, but I know what withdraw is like having had to come off narcotics after my treatment. Not fun at all!

Good Luck!
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks alot Fishmanpa for your comfort and reassurance.
    I have had 10 days of constant ectopic beats in May this year and since get one or two each day especially when anxiety is high which is alot now a days. Indeed xanax is simply terrible. Just awful.
    I wish you loads of strength and happiness ahead after your treatment. God bless you.

Thread Information