Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been stiffed by my work colleagues at a meal out

Angry I've been stiffed by my work colleagues at a meal out

Last night I went out for a meal at a new Indian restaurant with some of my colleagues. It was for someone's leaving do. It was the first time I'd ever been to this restaurant. There were 15 of us in total.

A few other people and I just had a soft drink. Some of the men just had a pint of beer or two. However, a few other people (including the organiser) down the other end of the table had ordered a couple of bottles of wine to share between themselves.

All I had was a main course and half a pint of orange juice. I assumed that we would all be paying for ourselves, as that's what usually happens when I go out for a meal with a group. So I was surprised when they said we have to split the bill equally, regardless of what we'd had. The bill came to £302 for the 15 of us which worked out to £21 each.

However, today I worked out that I actually had only had £14.45 worth of food and drink (or £16.50 including a tip of just over £2, which is what I'd usually tip).

Even though only about 3 or 4 people actually drank the wine, they expected all of us to subsidise it and they didn't offer to pay extra for it. I remember thinking the bill seemed very expensive, and even one of the men sitting opposite me said it's one of the most expensive curry nights he'd ever been to!

I was shocked that my colleagues would do such a thing, especially as the organiser of the meal is someone I've always got on well with. I was one of the youngest and most junior employees there, so I don't see why I should have to subsidise my senior colleagues. I wouldn't have minded so much if this was a meal out with my friends, but there were quite a few people there who I'd never even met before. (They are probably based in other parts of the country).

The few people who had the wine should have paid for it themselves, otherwise they're effectively stealing from the rest of us. Some of the wine drinkers are people who sit on my row of desks at work and are in my team, so I thought I could trust them. It makes me feel hurt and it also makes me feel like such a mug. I wish I could stand up for myself more. I feel like people always take advantage of me. It also puts me off going out with my colleagues any more.

What does everyone think about this? What can I do to avoid things like this happening in future?

Re: I've been stiffed by my work colleagues at a meal out

This sounds like something you would write "Dear Abby" about To prevent this from happening in the future, you ask the waitress up front for a separate check from the rest loud enough for all to hear. Easy enough

Good Luck!
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I don't think they have intentionally stiffed you I just think that's how they decided to split the bill on this occasion. Sometimes people pay individually or in pairs or sometimes everyone splits the bill equally. They may have had a cheeky couple of bottles of wine but others could have done the same of they wanted.

You shouldn't feel like a mug, you had to pay a fiver or so extra than what your meal would have come to. Its not the end of the world.

Thanks, maybe they didn't intentionally set out to stiff me or the others. Maybe they just didn't think to offer to pay extra, or maybe they were too drunk to realise they should have offered to do so! :lol: When I wrote my post, it wasn't so much the amount of money I was worried about, more the principle of it. I had assumed my colleagues were all honest fair people.

I just wasn't sure if I'm overreacting or reading too much into this. But it's one of my core negative beliefs that I'm a mug as I've been taken advantage of so many times in the past, especially when I was younger, and I'm not very assertive.

This happened to me on a work's meal so the next time I made people agree up front to split the food bill but not the drinks and they had to sort the drinks separately

No big deal though and don't hold it against them

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

That sounds like a good idea Nicola. I won't hold it against them, it's just not worth it. I'll let it go as I don't need the stress of feeling irritated about it, and I'll put it down to experience.

It did annoy me too cos I was not drinking cos I was driving and they were downing bottles of wine lol

So take the drinks bill away if you can and get that sorted separately

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Sparkle,

I really don't think you have intentionally been taken as a mug either. Whenever I am out for a meal, generally speaking, the bill is split by the number of people who go, so I don think it's that out of the ordinary.

Also, with such a large group, it is unlikely that everyone knows what everyone else is having, so it's likely that the wine drinkers, wrapped up in their own little world and conversations, just assumed everyone was drinking.

It can be very annoying, particularly if you are on a budget, but I am sure nothing about this was deliberate. I hope at least until the bill came, you had had a nice time?

Greg

Generally people split the bill equally as it is so much easier than trying to work out exactly what each person owes, and then people never have the correct change, only notes. Plus for some reason there is always a shortfall once all the money is collected !

It would have taken half the night to work out what everyone owed and get the money sorted out, so just splitting it evenly is so much simpler.

For the sake of a fiver I really wouldn't worry about it.

At our work nights out the bill is always shared between everyone, I thought that was normal when you're in a big group. Sometimes if there's a lot of alcohol involved then you can ask to split it up, no one usually minds if you've not been drinking! Since they're you're work colleagues they'll probably know you and understand

Don't feel bad, you weren't taken for a mug, I think this is just a normal way for big groups to sort out bills and maybe you just weren't aware of that. Next time you'll be better prepared and can ask for fairer treatment with the bill x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information