Thread: Palpations

Palpations

I am really getting in a state. My chest really aches I feel like I can't breathe properly. Every time I bend down today I get a palpatation andi feel like my heart is racing. I have had lots of tests over the years as I worry about my heart and have done for 7 years. Back in June I had ECG,echo,48hr heart monitor and was told by cardiologist it was fine apart from couple of ectopics. I had tho have the tests as I was due to have a hysterectomy but they cancelled at the last minute due to my heart and pulse going through the roof. Every time I go to doctors or hospital my heart races. I am having the op now in December so every time I go to see my gp about the palpations or chest pains they just look at me and say I have had all the tests and its anxiety due to my upcoming operation. But that's not helping me. I hate being alone as I am worried that something may happen. I feel so drained by it all. Is this really anxiety? Sometimes I get really forceful thuds in my chest and like spasms that shoot right across. I saw on here some people have mentioned about p.o.t.s I'm scared to look this up as I know its a heart condition please help

Re: Palpations

hi there. i suffer from heart palpitations too and in the past it has tripped of some big panic attacks. like you, i have had all of the tests done and all came back normal although they could see the extra/skipped beats. i had a stress/treadmill test done a few years ago and while on the treadmill i had a skipped beat - i told the attending nurse that i just had something go on and she looked at the printout and indeed i had had a skipped beat - she could not believe that i had actually been able to feel that - she said that she typically has people there on the treadmill who are having skipped beats who have no idea they are having them - they can't even feel them.

so....bottom line - some of us are VERY sensitive to our heart and how it is beating. sometimes when i lay on my left side in bed i get heart palpitations and the only way they will stop is if i change positions. other times i just get them randomly and sometimes i get them when i am on the treadmill.

what i can tell you is that for the most part they rarely now set of a panic attack - i tell myself that my heart has been fully checked out and it is fine. also, i tell myself that i have had exactly the same feelings before and again i have been fine.

i hope this is some encouragment to you. i have been having heart palpitations ever since i was a kid (didn't know what they were then) and i am now 48. i have gone thru times when i am having many of them every day and then none for a while - that just seems to be how they go for me.

Thanks for the reply, I just hate them so much. I had the stress test about 7 years ago and they said there may be a problem with the blood supply to my heart so I paid privately to have a heart scan and they said I had zero calcium so no blockages, my cholesterol is really low too. And the scan results were sentbto my gp saying it was fine.When I went to see a cardiologist in June I told him that the previous stress test has hung over me for 7 years because of that remark that there could be a problem. He looked at me and shook his head and said many people get a false positive. And not to worry, and he listened to my heart ran ECG, and echo and gave me a portable heart and bp monitor and said the results were normal and I can go ahead with my op. but I still worry all the time. My nan died of a Heart attack walking me home from school when I was 10 I was holding her hand I think that maybe this has triggered something off and everything to me is heart related. I've seen a few different cardiologists and they all say its anxiety. My left side is always the worst I have rib pain on that side so I naturally think its heart related. I just want to be normal

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Bashley......I think after all the tests you have had you can safely say your heart is ok............................It is hardly surprising that you have this fear after losing your nan from a heart attack and witnessing it at the age of 10!!!! You do not have to be a Psychologist to work out where your fears come from.

I have fears of losing people I love in car crashes ...........because at 17 I lost 5 (yes FIVE) people to car crashes in 2 months....three of them were in the car I was travelling in.....................................my psychologist has taught me to understand this fear.

this is anxiety

Bashley
    what a terrible thing to witness as a child re: your grandmother. i think it is safe to say that this is the origin of your worries.

for me, when i was in grade 5, a boy in my class died of a brain tumour - i have been plagued by worries about health since then - most often brain tumours even though i never really think about this particular boy anymore.

Thread Information