Thread: Endoscopy and Health Anxiety

Endoscopy and Health Anxiety

Hi,

Has anyone had this procedure with bad health anxiety and how did you cope? I worry about procedures and medications going wrong, I really need to have one done but I keep working myself into a frenzy about it which no doubt makes my stomach symptoms worse anyway.

Re: Endoscopy and Health Anxiety

I had an endoscopy and I was sedated for it. It was fine, it is quite a safe procedure but I was still very anxious about it.

Hello

I have severe anxiety, and had scopes done about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I was freaking out, too... but I'd rather know about something than keep worrying about any "what ifs"!

I was sedated, and didn't feel a thing! I woke up after and felt really good - was actually surprised. hehe

You will be fine. The doctor and staff do so many of these on a daily basis - trust in them.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

And in all honesty - the worst part is having them put the cannula in. And that's not too bad, is it?

It will be sunny, one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina9 View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone had this procedure with bad health anxiety and how did you cope? I worry about procedures and medications going wrong, I really need to have one done but I keep working myself into a frenzy about it which no doubt makes my stomach symptoms worse anyway.
    Yes, I had it for an internal stomach bleed (which sent me into overdrive mode :( ), as the days got closer I got to point of almost sheer panic, I was a complete reck in the waiting room, they couldn't even get an accurate blood pressure value, and typically was the last one of the morning batch to go, grr.

Basically you get two options, sedation, which mostly knocks you out (no guarantee on that), or throat numbing.

As I have control issues, I wanted to be in full control so went for the throat numbing, and TBH that was the worst part as they spray anesthetic directly onto you tonsils and throat, which makes you gag really badly. If you not so worried about the losing of control part, go for sedation, that said you still may gag when they put the camera in your throat the first time.

The actual procedure is OK, it does not hurt is rather uncomfortable when they rotate the camera around, like a bad case of wind. You lay facing away from the camera so cannot see your own insides, plus two nurses monitor you closely and you have an oxygen sensor and pulse sensor hooked up. They pump you stomach with air, and then when finished let it deflate, which obviously has its humorous side.

On the whole the thought is a million miles worse than what happens on the day, I did cope (just), and would try to avoid it again, but was it as bad as I feared, no. In terms of safety they do these hundreds in a week (just one hospital), its really safe.

Thank you so much for your replies, it really means a lot. I want to be sedated, the reason why I worry so much is a mixture of the health anxiety and I have a mild muscle condition which makes me worry about anything to do with my throat and also sedation so this procedure is like my worst nightmare too, I want to know what's going on down there but my imagination takes over and stops me from letting the doctor refer me for it. Just stuck in a circle of worry :(

Before the procedure is done - tell them exactly how you feel, and what you're worried about - so they know. This will put your mind at ease too - I'm sure they've seen so many different cases, and will handle yours just fine.

It will be sunny, one day.

if you are really anxious or nervous you can have this done under general but it will be a longer recovery.

I have severe anxiety and had a endoscopy. After panicking and worrying during the run up to the procedure, I actually ended up having it done without sedation. I felt a lot calmer once I was actually there. The nurses are very nice and reassure you and it is all over pretty quickly.

Thread Information