Thread: 5HTP... Any success stories?

Red face 5HTP... Any success stories?

Hey all,
    I am really interested I using 5HTP as a replacement for normal prescription meds.
    I am currently tapering off Sertraline (Its terrible, but that's another story!), and have started taking 50mg 5HTP at night time and was hoping it would ease some of the side effects - but nothing yet. I know it takes time to get into your system and there wont be any effect yet. But I'd like to know if its worth continuing with them?
    I have slept really well but have been so lethargic all day.
    If anyone has experience, good or bad... I'd like to know? Thanks

Re: 5HTP... Any success stories?

Hi, I have been on 5-HTP and I've also done some research on them. It can take up to four weeks to work. The level of serotonin in them is quite low. The average advised dosage is 1 50mg capsule per day however, I have been on 100mg and others i know have been on 300mg. I think you just gotta find the right dosage.

As the levels are of the effective serotonin is so low and it's made worse by it's lack of ability to cross the blood/brain barrier. I read that Vit B6 helps with that.

I took two 50mg a day with one 50mg B6 and i found it has helped.

Stuff i found:

"A good 5 HTP dose should range from about 50 to 400 mg. Supplements are available in 5-HTP 50 mg and 5-HTP 100 mg capsules. For depression, the normal dosage will involve intake of a capsule or two once to four times daily for 50 mg 5 HTP pills, while taking three tablets in divided doses are recommended for 100 mg capsule"

"Note that while too little 5-HTP can lead to emotional upset, insomnia and large appetite, having too much of it may be harmful as well. Thus, it is important that you take 5-HTP supplements only at their recommended dosage."

Hope this helps!

Before I started on Citalopram, I had been taking 5HTP for almost two years.

They seemed to help a bit in reducing my overall anxiety levels, but whether that was just psychosomatic I don't know. I had also tried many other herbal anxiety cures in the past though (including 'St Johns Wort') & found them all to be utterly useless, so maybe it wasn't just in my mind.

Unfortunately 5HTP only potentially slowed down my inevitable decline rather than preventing it, hence why I am now on Citalopram.

I don't take 5HTP any more though, as I read that both it & 'St Johns Wort' can potentially cause toxic interactions with Citalopram for some people.

hi so what kind of remedies are u taking right now?

Just ordered some so I'll report back in a few weeks x

Last year I had some problems with depression and anxiety and was prescribed Prozac, which worked after a few weeks of hot flushes and sleeplessness. Took them for six months then stopped on gp advice no tapering and no real side effects.

Started to feel a bit wobbly when winter started and decided to try 5 htp this time. I take one after breakfast and one just before bed (50mg). If I am having a tough day I take one in the afternoon too.

I use the ones which contain b6 and magnesium as well from Holland and Barrett.

I have noticed a real difference I sleep better and am calmer. Sometimes I feel a bit hyper or drowsy but no idea whether this the 5 htp, and would say side effects are minmal after 2 mobths of use. When the sun returns I plan to stop then use them again next winter.

One thing: if you are already using any meds especially Ssri then dont touch these without seeing your doc as you could risk serotonin syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by 99zardoz View Post
    Last year I had some problems with depression and anxiety and was prescribed Prozac, which worked after a few weeks of hot flushes and sleeplessness. Took them for six months then stopped on gp advice no tapering and no real side effects.

Started to feel a bit wobbly when winter started and decided to try 5 htp this time. I take one after breakfast and one just before bed (50mg). If I am having a tough day I take one in the afternoon too.

I use the ones which contain b6 and magnesium as well from Holland and Barrett.

I have noticed a real difference I sleep better and am calmer. Sometimes I feel a bit hyper or drowsy but no idea whether this the 5 htp, and would say side effects are minmal after 2 mobths of use. When the sun returns I plan to stop then use them again next winter.

One thing: if you are already using any meds especially Ssri then dont touch these without seeing your doc as you could risk serotonin syndrome.
    Thankyou for this. I have 100mg tablets. I'm only on day 2 so no real change just yet. I have 30 tablets so will report back if and when I feel change and when I've finished the months supply. I'm on no other medication. I take evening primrose which I can't recommend enough for women if you find your anxiety peaks when it's time of the month. I take between 900-1200mg a day of EPO. Plus a multi vitamin x

I had tried 5HTP for my anxiety for a few months but gave up as didn't see much improvement.

Now on Citalopram and 3 months in feeling so much better, currently at a controllable level but will take more time for my body and brain to adjust.

I've upped my intake to 2x 100g capsules a day. I think they take the edge off anxiety, not a major turnaround- I'm on day 16 so still early days.

Waiting for my new batch, I ordered from healthspan 5htp, the pills used to be called 'happy days' so here's to hoping they're good quality- I'll report back in a few weeks xx

I think they're working. Day 18 and I feel slightly more upbeat. Of course this may not last. It's certainly no magic pill!

Another months worth has just arrived. 'Happy days' from health span. Basically 100mg of 5htp in each tablet. It was half price. Of course you can get them on offer quite often in holland and barret, I bought my last lot off eBay. Check out healthspan for the reviews though! Some highly rate it.

I'll stick with it and keep updating my progress and hopefully not my decline xx

Thread Information