Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When will it work?

When will it work?

Hi everyone,
    I have been on sertraline for depression and anxiety for almost 4 weeks. The doctor told me it could take a couple of weeks before I felt any effects but I still feel utterly miserable and hopeless pretty much all the time. She keeps on telling me that people do improve and that it will get better, but it is really difficult to believe; I am starting to think maybe this is just how I am supposed to feel and it will be like this forever.
    Am I just being impatient, or is it likely that the sertraline is never going to have any effect for me and I need to be trying something else?
    Stella

Re: When will it work?

Hi, I would say that it does take time to feel the improvement, which can be months. However, you also have to help it along by positive thinking and attitude or it won't work on its own.

hang in there stella it does take time ,are you having cbt or any kind of therapy ?

I'm on Sertraline and have been for 8 years. The medication can only help so much - you have to do the majority of the work yourself. Medication is not a miracle cure. Ask for counselling/CBT. Doing this alongside the medication will help to improve your mood.

Thanks folks - yes, I am waiting for counselling but it might take a while. I know that the medication can only help so much but I am just getting concerned that it is not going to have any positive effect at all. I am prepared to be patient (a patient patient, indeed ) as long as it is not a hopeless wait!

Quote Originally Posted by -Stella- View Post
    Thanks folks - yes, I am waiting for counselling but it might take a while. I know that the medication can only help so much but I am just getting concerned that it is not going to have any positive effect at all. I am prepared to be patient (a patient patient, indeed ) as long as it is not a hopeless wait!
    it will work but it isnt like a light switch when it happens.For me I couldnt get out of bed then one day I felt "ok" and wanted to get out of bed.
    Basically it gave me a kick up the arse and made me start helping myself more

Thank you again MrAndy! I am pleased to report that in the last couple of days I have noticed I have been feeling better than I have for the last few months - as you say MrAndy, 'ok' to get out of bed rather than pretty much unable - so I have hope that it may be starting to have some effect. I will wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by -Stella- View Post
    Thank you again MrAndy! I am pleased to report that in the last couple of days I have noticed I have been feeling better than I have for the last few months - as you say MrAndy, 'ok' to get out of bed rather than pretty much unable - so I have hope that it may be starting to have some effect. I will wait and see!
    just hang in there Stella it does honestly get easier and the tablets do work im proof of this.Ok will turn into good and then good turns onto normal

I truly believe it - today is day 33 and I can honestly say that now I am sure they are working; it may take a while but for the first time I feel as though I will definitely be alright eventually!

So much for feeling better - I had a couple of 'good' days when I felt a lot more normal than I have been doing for months, one of which was last Tuesday when I saw the doctor again. Unfortunately since then I have been headed steadily downhill and today I could hardly get out of bed again, I feel like I have gone right back to where I was and that maybe I imagined any improvement, maybe it was a fluke and the sertraline is not working after all. Because the doctor caught me on a 'good' day, now I am not going again for a month and so if it isn't working, I am just going to be stuck like this in the meantime. I am not feeling at all hopeful right now. Sorry to be gloomy everyone, just need to vent really

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information