Thread: Desperate for advice - burning mouth/throat/teeth

Desperate for advice - burning mouth/throat/teeth

I am at my wits end with this.

I started Escitalopram again on Sep 22 at 5mg after my anxiety flaring again. I started it from an old batch of meds I had left from those I took when I stopped them in 2011.

I had no physical effects from them except nausea and the mental side effects which went quickly.

I saw my doctor on Oct 14 for a new prescription and he increased the Escitalopram to 10mg.

At first I had no problems with this, but about 7-10 days later I started getting soreness behind my front teeth/burning mouth and a sore throat. At first it was pretty bearable. I remember that when I started the meds in 2003 I also had the same burning behind my front teeth then which quickly disappeared, so I figured it was related to dry mouth side effect from the meds.

This time things are different. I have developed a very red throat, and the burning mouth is terrible, and I now have nerve type pain from my teeth.

Because of my throat, I thought I possibly had a viral infection as my glands were also raised and I felt rotten, but I am in doubt now, as things are getting worse.

Last night I could not sleep until 5.30am as the pain from my mouth and tooth sensitivity was awful.

I really don't know what is happening. I don't know if this is due to dry mouth from the meds or is something separate, or anxiety related or what.

I just desperately need advice as to whether anyone has shared these symptoms, or has any ideas?

I cannot get an appointment with my doctor until next week.

Re: Desperate for advice - burning mouth/throat/teeth

Awww bless...I never had that at all, just hot flashes and a bit of sickness and headaches more than anything. Does it say you can get this side effect on the leaflet that comes with Cipralex, hope you will be ok and it goes away quickly ...that is mad not being able to get a doctors appointment for a week, I am lucky as I can always get one same day at my surgery.

I have a sensation of a burning mouth, tongue and tingling lips/face/chin and it is sometimes related to medication, it seems when my anxiety is higher I get the symptoms. I ignore them, it's the only thing that works, I've tried using bonjela, sucking ice cubes, eating yoghurts nothing seems to work it only distracts from the sensations for a while.

When I stopped Prozac last year and went med free I did experience some strange nerve sensations in my front teeth. It was actually really painful, shooting nerve pain, it only lasted a few minutes at a time but I had it for a few weeks. I guess it may be your body responding to the change in brain chemicals and should settle down, I don't think it's anything to worry about but I know how distressing it feels.
    Sam

I agree with everything Tufty says. xx

Thanks so much for your kind replies, Karen, Tufty and bab.x

I managed to get an emergency appt this evening. I have a throat infection, but the doctor wasn't sure if it was that or the meds causing the burning.

I was sure it was the meds as you said, Tufty too, just because I had it before with Cipralex. Anyway so far, so good after the first dose of antibiotic. x

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Karen - yep, it says dry mouth is a side effect, so I thought at first maybe it was just a bad dry mouth effect I had x

Thanks again guys for your help.xxx

I have this but I'm on venlafaxine! I also get the tooth/nerve thing is not an ache it's weird only way I can explain it is like a nerve/tingly sensation. My tongue is really sore and get worst the drier my mouth is.
    My psych and doctor both say it's anxiety related! But then when they know you have anxiety I think they tend to say "it's anxiety"
    I have also read it's mostly women who get it hormone related and menopausal women (which I am)
    Nothing as worked for me, let us know if yours goes and if you did anything
    Obviously not the sore throat.

Oh yes, I forgot you get this Clio quite a lot....it's weird hey, I have never had anything like that at all. Wow hormone related, what an odd one. I am so not looking forward to the menopause as I struggle as it is with hormones, I have even recently gone on the mini pill but have felt dodgy all week though DR says it is way too soon to blame the pill. The joys of being a woman hey ):

Quote Originally Posted by clio51 View Post
    I have this but I'm on venlafaxine! I also get the tooth/nerve thing is not an ache it's weird only way I can explain it is like a nerve/tingly sensation. My tongue is really sore and get worst the drier my mouth is.
    My psych and doctor both say it's anxiety related! But then when they know you have anxiety I think they tend to say "it's anxiety"
    I have also read it's mostly women who get it hormone related and menopausal women (which I am)
    Nothing as worked for me, let us know if yours goes and if you did anything
    Obviously not the sore throat.

Thanks for your reply, Clio. x

Yep, it is so weird and uncomfortable, especially the nerve thing. One thing I tried for the dryness is Biotene mouthwash (for dry mouth). I found it quite helpful as it replaces/replicates moisture in the mouth and is alcohol free so doesn't have that burning effect of some m/washes. Just bought it off the shelf in Superdrug.

I totally empathise about the anxiety thing. I purposely didn't mention my anxiety or meds until the GP had examined my throat as I was sure he would say it is my anxiety. Bit frustrating!

I also had heard about the menopause link. I suppose I can't rule that out as at 42 I am certainly creeping that way....the joys of being a woman INDEED Karen!!!

Thanks so much again guys.xxxxx

Thread Information