Thread: Starting Sertraline and a bit scared

Starting Sertraline and a bit scared

Hi, I was on 40mg of citalopram for anxiety and Agraphobia. Although it helped me in some aspects, when it came to things like job interviews or just meeting my mother inlaw for an an afternoon wondering around the shops, the tablets did nothing for the panic. I went back to the doctors and he has now changed me to Sertraline 50mg. This is my first day on them, taking them in the afternoon. Round about quarter to 8 I started to feel very sick and hard to keep steady on my feet, now at half past 10, I am very tired and have been for the past hour.

I have been reading up on Sertraline through google and I don't really like what I've read about the first week of taking them. I'm very reluctant to keep with it. Any feel good stories about this drug to make me feel better about taking it? Or advice on how to get through the fist week would be very much appreciated

Thank you
    Gemma

Re: Starting Sertraline and a bit scared

Hi Gemma,
    First of all, you probably know that trying to find out about people's experiences of medication through Google will turn up things biased towards the negative - because generally only people who want to complain about things post on the internet about it! People who are not having problems don't tend to report on it, so it looks like everyone experiences horrible things, but I don't think that's the case.
    My experience of the first week on sertraline (also 50mg, for depression and anxiety) was that it did make me feel a bit sick, weird and spaced-out, and sleepy, but all of these side-effects pretty much vanished within the first two weeks and I am having no trouble from it now. It is a bit too early to say whether it is having a positive effect for me, but these past few days I have been feeling decidedly less bad than I have been for months and months, so maybe it is starting to work - and if it is, then it will have been well worth the initial week or so of mild discomfort.
    One thing I found helpful on this site was to read this: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46980
    Although it is not about sertraline specifically there is a lot of useful info there.
    I hope I might have reassured you a little. I know taking a new medicine can be scary (especially reading horror stories on the Internet!) but remember that thousands of people all over the world have taken it and most of them are doing just fine and have actually found it helpful.
    Stella

Thank you so much, you are right about Google and only people complain. I think I was just that worried about what I had read that I didn't stop to think about it. Thank you

Day two on sertraline. Although I was very tired last night, I was very restless and had vivid dreams. Not bad dreams just very vivid. During the day I was fine until 4. Then I fell asleep for half an hour, when I woke up I felt really down and my head hurt. The feeling of sadness increased until finally I just broke down and cried. I have this overwhelming hopeless feeling.

Gemma

Oh yes, the vivid dreams - I had those too, I had forgotten. Hang on in there Gemma, you can do this! And remember, if any side-effects are unmanageable or particularly worrying then you can and should see your doctor, okay? It might be that something could be adjusted or changed to make things better.

Hi Gemma

While your mind adjusts to the meds, you will feel more anxious. Try to keep busy. Take things slow, and be gentle with yourself. Keep in mind, that whenever you do feel down, that it's just the meds. The bad feelings will pass.

I find reading helps, or watching some comedy.

xx

It will be sunny, one day.

Thread Information