Thread: Just discovered i'm pregnant - terrified

Just discovered i'm pregnant - terrified

After only 3 weeks of trying for a baby with my husband, yesterday morning we discovered that I am pregnant. The test says 2 weeks but when you work it out on a pregnancy calculator it states that actually i am 4 weeks.

Obviously we are overjoyed, but very shocked. I'd taken a pregnancy test about 5 days ago (before my missed period) and it came back negative. I actually posted on here to say how upset and anxious I was that it was a negative result, still I had a "feeling" I was, and 2 days late for my period it tells us the news we were hoping for but never expecting!

Since we found out though, my anxiety has been sky high, I barely slept last night and i'm very "cling" to my husband.

I'm on 30mg of Citalopram for anxiety, I only started Cit in January because I didn't really have a life, I couldn't go anywhere without panic.
    Now i'm able to do the things i'd dreamed of, like go abroad, and even just go shopping and to resturants.

My dad and stepmum are the only people that know i'm pregnant, we told them a few hours after my test because we just couldn't wait However, I retched 3 times before telling them because I was so panicky.

My dad and husband say it's natural to be anxious, we've never done this before, but I worry with my history and all this panic and not sleeping i'm going to harm the baby.
    I'm mainly worried something will go wrong and I'll lose the baby, I keep getting pains in my tummy and thinking i'm losing it, I get really out of breath and chest pains which my doctor has given me an inhaler for, but i'm worried that will harm the baby too.

My husband is ringing the doctors today to get me an appointment asap, but until then I just don't know what i'm supposed to do, or how to calm my nerves.

Any advice for a terrified first time mum to be would be appreciated, thank you x
    Last edited by miss_moose; 11-11-13 at 11:16. Reason: I've just seen theres a pregnancy thread so i'll repost in there

Re: Just discovered i'm pregnant - terrified

I hope the doctor can help. I do understand your anxiety. I was terribly scared and anxious during my third pregnancy but medication did help.

Everything will work out, you'll be a great mum. This baby is obviously very much wanted. You have come a long way so believe in yourself.

I hope things get better for you xxx

Thank you xx

I've just spoken to my GP over the phone who has put my mind at ease about some things.
    I'm moving down a dose on my Citalopram, and the midwives will be in touch and then i'll go for a scan to date the baby.
    I also mentioned the pains in my tummy which he wasn't concerned about and told me every expectant mother will be the same as far as anxiety is concerned, so so far, so good
    My husband and are are still in shock, we had only been trying for 3 weeks

I'm so anxious but i'm now uber excited

With our first we got pregnant first month, such a shock. I was scared stiff but I enjoyed being pregnant so much.

In the early weeks you can get pains, they are like stretching pains so don't worry if they are just faint pains.

Good to hear the GP has helped reassure you x

hi, congratulations on your pregnancy i know it can be scary, i remember it well! but somehow you just get through it. in a strange way my anxiety and panic attacks were appearing alot less when i was pregnant, just try and enjoy your special time x take care xx joe

Congratulations miss_moose on your pregnancy! I think a first pregnancy/baby is bound to be scary for anyone, let alone if you suffer anxiety!

Maybe your stomach pains are anxiety related? I know when I'm really anxious I get lots of aches and pains, especially stomach pains.

I think it sounds you're in the best hands with your hubby and GP so don't worry, I'm sure you will be well looked after

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."

CONGRATULATIONS - I'm not going to lie, I'm on my 3rd baby and wasn't a GAD sufferer with my other 2!!! Sooo this pregnancy has been a different cattle of fish for me & I'm at the other side of the spectrum to u at this moment. I'm 39 weeks gone tomorrow and the anxiety and a bad pregnancy has left me anything other than prepared. I can't lie it has been very emotional, very tiring, very worrying. If u read my stats u will understand more. But the positive side is every time I thought the worse, it hasn't happened. But just need to get through the labour now

Good luck

Hi miss_moose

Congratulations on being pregnant! I've recently found out i'm pregnant too - i'm five and a half weeks.

I've always been worried about getting pregnant, my body changing, the tests involved, etc as i've got a needle/hospital/blood phobia which doesn't help! However, now i'm pregnant, the thing that's actually worrying me most is whether everything is going well and the baby is developing as it should, etc.

Not sure how to stop worrying about it! I used to be on Citalopram for anxiety but came off it earlier this year when we started trying for a baby. My anxiety levels have definitely gone up since stopping taking it.

I've been having different pains too but think (hope) it's just a normal part of pregnancy.

Would be good to chat and reassure each other as things progress

Zoe x

You're in my thoughts & prayers, miss moose. I'm confident things will go great for you and you'll have a healthy baby!

Thread Information