Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First week on Citalopram

First week on Citalopram

I'm a 52 yr old male who has struggled with depression, obsessive worrying & anxiety related insomnia for far too many years. After recently reaching a crisis point, I finally sought help from my Doctor & am now on day 6 of Citalopram 20mg.

For the first two days I had terrible headaches, then on the third day I seemed to be side effect free, but from day four onwards though I have felt strangely disoriented. My sense of balance is slightly off, sometimes almost as if I am on a boat, plus my head feels quite foggy & occasionally when I try to say something I have to concentrate to get the words to come out in the right order. I also sometimes get mild feelings of dissociation, almost as if I am watching myself externally. Hopefully this will lessen as my body get used to the medication, either that or I suppose I will just have to get used to it.

Lots of strange side effects, but nothing positive yet. I still feel in almost total despair most of the time & despite feeling absolutely exhausted, I am still having terrible problems sleeping due to worrying & panic attacks.

My Doctor initially prescribed a 14 day course which I think is standard to see if Citalopram suits me & I am due to see him again in another week. Not sure if he will increase the dose after the 14 days or whether that would magnify the side-effects too. He warned me about the side effects & said it can take 8 weeks to start feeling better, but I've been depressed for so long that I can't really imagine what that would be like.

If it is does eventually start to make me better it will have been worth it, but at the moment it all feels so very strange!

Re: First week on Citalopram

Hi there,
    Yep stick with it for two months at least, 14 day review is a very short time. I was on these last year and they helped me get back to feeling like me again, it took a process of around 5 months to feel 100%. So bear that in mind. I came off after 8 months being on them. Big mistake!!
    After being off them for two months all the old anxiety symptoms came back, so I am now back on them, I'm on 15mg going up to 20mg soon, been on them for around 3 weeks and do not feel any better yet.
    Stick with it you'll get there x it takes time for this drug to get into your system, maybe try reading Claire weekes books aswel, x
    Take care

All of the things that you're describing can be directly related to citalopram and to anxiety as well. During the first couple of weeks of citalopram, this can all be normal reactions to the medication. For me, the symptoms have come and gone. I will have a few good days and then a few no so good days. I am working on accepting the symptoms, the aches and pains, and letting them go. Not always easy, but it will getbeasier.
    Good luck to you on your journey.

Thank you both for your helpful messages of support.

Just had my daily tablet about an hour ago, so the disorientation is back in force again, along with the odd sensations in my mouth & throat. I prefer to take them in the morning as that means some of the odd sensations have lessened by the evening & my bouts of insomnia are bad enough already without having anything else to fuel them.

I did feel a little bit more positive for the first couple of days despite the headaches, but I think that was just the relief of having finally sought medical help for my depression & obsessive worrying. Sadly that wore off all too quickly & I am looking forward to when the medication really starts to kick in, even if I'm not sure what that will feel like.

If I'm lucky, I might start to feel slightly better in time for Xmas, but failing that hopefully 2014 will finally be a turning point for me.

I just was prescribed the Celexa and absolutely hate it. It could be that I drank with it and took two doses my first day. (It was after midnight so thought I'd take next dose early?
    I had no energy for two days, lost two pounds(which isn't a bad thing), had blurry vision and felt sea sick. I've been yawning and not sleeping that well. Anyways I haven't taken it since. I might try again tomorrow.

When I got my first course of Citalopram from the Pharmacist, they didn't include the usual leaflet of instructions for usage, so I had to check for myself online. Initially, I read mixed messages about alcohol & Citalpram on the UK NHS website, but thought it was best not to risk it.

Since then I have read about many people having bad interactions, so I have resigned myself to being completely sober/teetotal. I didn't really drink that much before, but I definitely used to look forward to a drink at the end of the day to calm my nerves.

Xmas at my parent's house is going to be odd this year, since my Dad usually encourages everyone to drink far too much, so I am worried that the reason why I have to stay sober will dampen the festive atmosphere for the rest of my family.

My Dad is in his late 70's & very much of the old school where men are never supposed to show their emotions, so he has never understood my life long problems with depression. When I spoke to him a few days ago, he even seemed to think that I might only be taking Citalopram for a few weeks & could be back to normal by Xmas. I tried to explain that I would probably be on medication for quite a long time, but I'm sure he still thinks that I would be fine if I just pulled myself together a bit.

I have no idea how long I will be on medication or whether the side-effects will get better or worse over time, but if it helps me finally get better it will all have been worth it, since I had just reached a point where I couldn't carry on fighting my depression without help.

Lol there's no school like the old school!!!
    Lots of the older generations think that way, my nan is 76 and at the beginning of my "illness" she told me just to ignore it and pull myself together,....... Oh how we would all live to do just that!! Lol
    She has now accepted that it's only 1 tablet a day and if it makes me feel good then what's the problem!!
    I got better last year on cit and I was far far worse than I am now, so I'm certain it will do the job again, it will be worth it !
    The starting few months are a right bugger, but we persevere cos we have to, giving up isn't an option. X
    Xxxx keep going xxxx before long you'll look back on how you are now and think " wow I done it!"

Hi all Just started cit 3 days ago and feel horrible, runs nerves in belly no interest in food and sleep problems. How long will this last I feel awful

Hiya I'm on 5 weeks now and I can honestly say stick with it you will feel better they are horrible at the beginning and I thought id never be right again but im back at work and I'm smiling again and believe me that is a big achievement for me so stick at it you get there xxx

Hi
    I have on 40mg for 7 weeks now but am feeling the benefits, it was a hard struggle to stay with it to start but glad I did

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information