Thread: Does anyone else get this???

Does anyone else get this???

I've lost count of the number of new threads where the poster describes their current ailment followed by 'does anyone else get this'?

I know why people do it - they're hoping for 3 or 4 replies from different people saying 'I've had that', people who either survived whatever it was or are surviving it now. The logic is this: if other people have the same symptoms and are ok, I'm probably ok too.

What this boils down to is simple reassurance-seeking from peers. It's absolutely not helpful in reducing health anxiety. What you must realise is this: the fact that other people have or have had symptoms similar to yours makes no difference whatsoever to your current situation. Your situation is unique. Stop looking for this type of reassurance, because it's not going to get you anywhere. Instead, try to accept what you are experiencing and resist the urge to ask others if they have it too.
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

Re: Does anyone else get this???

Well said Skippety one

In the event something I say looks off kilter or I've made a spelling mistake it's not me, it's my iPad. Auto-correct is a damn nuisance and I'm too lazy to get upright and sit at my desktop computer

Be careful 48 more posts like that and no one will need to buy your book

Haha you're right, I just can't help wanting to drag people out of their faulty thinking - wish someone had done it to me 10 years ago when it first started!
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

Thread Information