Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help, I can't stop focusing on my breathing :(

Re: Please help, I can't stop focusing on my breathing :(

That's very true too just takes a while to loosen tense muscles. I've noticed over time it makes me more aware of it when I'm tense. I'm starting yoga next week at the gym I go to so looking forward to that but also rather than getting annoyed and worked up about it try think more positive about it.

I'm having a bit of a hard time with focusing on breathing at the moment but I know I'll stop focusing on it after a while and my body will carry on doing it as it's designed to.

Sorry for the late responce, thank you all for replying, it's comforting to know that i'm not alone. I feel like a freak, nobody I know understands how I'm feeling, It's terryfing. I am TERRIFIED of exercising now, I went out the other day and only walked a little bit and my heart stating going because of the natural reaction of exercise, then I felt my lungs close up, then I started to panic breathe, I couldn't catch my breath, my agoraphobia kicked in on the busy bus and my hands started to get pins and needles again, it was difficult to do but I talked to myself telling myself to calm down, I was so nervous. I had to call my dad just to get him to talk to me about anything but what I was experiencing.

I can't handle this anymore, I feel like crying all the time. I can see you have all gone or ARE going through this, I had a period of feeling normal again last week and I thought I was on the mend but I went swimming and panicked about my breathing. I don;t want to avoid exercise forever as I want to keep fit! but it's impossible when I'm feeling this way. Even in my safety zones...(with my mum or dad, in my mums car) I'm worrying about my breathing again, I'm yawning constantly, taking deep breaths.

Does anybody else have a fear of exercise? has anybody else overcome this? I want a day to come where I remember how relaxing exercise can be, I remember being a bike fanatic only 6 months ago riding my bike to my mates house every other day and I wonder now just how I handled my breathing. This is so pathetic!!!

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

oh and P.S -

My doctor just prescribed me some BETA blocker tablets :-/ I haven't taken them as I don't like medication. I worry they will affect my normal heart rate. But even at the doctors she wasn't very helpful and just thought I was a hypocondriac

With exercise i don't have a problem with breathing, I worry about my heart. But I press through and it doesn't kill me.

I have this 'fear of exercise' - but really, I know it isn't a fear of exercise - its a fear of my heart beating fast and that reminds me of a panic attack and its the panic attack I think I'm going to have that I'm frightened of.

Is that the same for you perhaps? You like to swim, so it's not swimming you're frightened of - its the normal body sensations of exercise (out of breath, heart beating fast) that frighten you - if you take that further again, what IS it about being out of breath and your heart beating that frightens you? Is it the reminder of a panic attack, or that you think you're going to die?

Try thinking beyond the initial bit and find the real thing that frightens you, then at least you can try to look at that. Im not saying it is a cure at all - I still get nervous when I do exercise, but I know its NOT the exercise - it's the reminder of a panic attack which then sets me off that I'm really frightened of and not the activity.

As a generally anxious person I have found that I can on occasion find it difficult to get that "good breath" one that feels deep and fills your lungs. What I have learned over the years from different health professionals is that if you are generally anxious and tense then you are probably a shallow breather. If so, then you will not be using your diaphragm to it fullest potential, this can cause tension in the rib cage and the feeling of not getting a good breath. I have found that breathing using using your diaphragm correctly ( allowing your tummy to expand and deflate ) and using a good recommended massage therapist or osteopath can help correct this feeling of shallow breathing.
    I think for anyone who is anxious a regular deep tissue manage could help minimise some of the symptoms that manifest themselves because of the stress on your body and for me that means less anxiety about headaches , chest pain etc.
    hope this helps Sx

Have you tried EFT, that can help it can calm the nervous system.. you can do it anywhere it has helped me a lot... try it. I hope you feel better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information