Thread: Breast ultrasound..???

Breast ultrasound..???

Would one definitely pick up a lump that was significant?? I posted onhere last week about a lump I have. I am breastfeeding and at times have a visible lump in the same place dependent on how much milk I have. When it's not visible I am able to see it through pushing the breast tissue upwards. It freaks me out that it's visible. I had a private apt with a consultant last week, wasn't concerned and had me have an ultrasound.. All clear.. Normal breast tissue. How is this possible?? It's a prominent lump! Are ultrasounds reliable? I really want to let this go and enjoy my baby. The lump is fairly soft and movable x

Re: Breast ultrasound..???

An ultrasound would show if it was anything significant. If you are breast feeding then I would say it is likely to be a blocked milk duct or fatty tissue and should go in time.

Thanku for replying. Do you know is fatty tissue/ milk ducts shown as normL breast tissue on scans?i should have asked more questions at the scan. He just said there was nothing abnormal showing at all. So confused and annoyed with myself for letting my head question everything xx

Yes they would be normal. I had a lump in my breast and had a scan and was told it didn't show anything so was just fibrous/fatty tissue. Your breasts always feel more lumpy when breast feeding though due to the milk ducts.

Thanku. I wish id asked silly of me not to. I paid to be seen quickly by a private consultant so don't dare mention to my husband I am still worrying, he would be so cross with me! Thanks again xx

Just wanted to say I am breastfeeding too and a few months ago I had this lump under the skin. Sometimes I could see it but could always feel it.

My gp thought maybe a blocked duct. I went for an ultrasound and like you it just showed as normal breast tissue. I forgot all about it as then looked for it the other week and it had vanished. Defo not there any more so I think it must be related I the feeding somehow.

Dont worry if there was something sinister they would have seen it.

Thanks, glad yours has gone! I have stopped worrying so much about this now. It is still there and feels bigger when I have more milk but the only time it is visible now is when I get the let down sensation when feeding . I have loads of lumps pop up for a minute or so in that breast when that happens. Has definitely become less prominent and shrinks with feeding which is good x

I had a similar experience when my son was about 2 years old. I worried myself sick in the days leading up to the ultrasound. I was in there just a few minutes and the 'lump' turned out to be what the nurse named 'fatty gristle'! My son is now 17 and Ive had no probs since x

Thread Information