Thread: Major Panic Attack - Need Help

Major Panic Attack - Need Help

Worse panic attack I've had in months. Feels like one wave of anxiety after another. I'm nauseous with chest tightness and my arms are aching like they're going to fall off.
    I've got this strange symptom. It feels like there is a tight cap or band surrounding my head and my vision feels funny. Almost connected to the tight band around my head.
    I keep trying to breathe and I'm trying to write my illogical thoughts but I can't seem to stay focused enough to do it. My breathing just feels too shallow.
    I'm scared because I thought that the panic attacks were getting better. I've had a couple of bad days in a row and now I just don't know what to do

Advice and thoughts please!

Re: Major Panic Attack - Need Help

Hi Tanner, I woke up having a panic attack today, haven't had one in 2 weeks so wasn't pleasant and I know you forget how bad they are!

Try breathing, put your hands on your tummy and link your fingers, as you breath in try and get a breathe that pushes your fingers apart and watch it happen, distracting yourself watching it works as well as the breathing

Also try and truly distract yourself so maybe put a funny video on or watch a good programme on TV, it won't work to start but when you are genuinely distracted it should help the panic..

I hope these work for you! I know its easier said then done as its hard for me to follow my own advice when I am having a panic attack.. Just tell yourself your panicking and it will pass, also telling yourself its happened before and you were fine should help...

I hope your ok and out of the panic soon...

Thanks FedUp! I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. It has definitely been a tough day. I haven't tried breathing like that during a panic attack so I will definitely give that a whirl. When I'm in the midst of the panic, it is so hard to convince myself that's all it is.
    This morning it was just one wave of panic after another. Haven't had one of those in awhile, and I guess I thought I was past that.

I HATE those ripples of panic, like you're drowning beneath each thought that tells you you're not fine. But we really are fine regardless of how we may feel. Hope you're doing better, Tanner.

Hey tanner, my day went about as good as yours. I tried to go out to lunch with some women from work and started panicking half way through it. Tight chest, pains in arms, thought I was losing my vision and adrenalin rushes. I kept telling myself I have lived through this many times before but I always think this time is it. Heart attack? Stroke? Anuerism? All those thoughts go through my head. I hate it. I am on a small dose of Zoloft. I am afraid of meds. I just wanted you to know that there are many of us out there. I wish there was some magic cure. Most people just cant relate. Everyone I work with is aware of my condition and I am very open about it. I figure it is better to let people know, rather than thinking I am a scatter brain strange because I start rubbing my neck a lot and pacing sometimes. Distraction does seem to be the key. I didn't realize how tense I got today until I came home and relaxed. Now my neck and upper back are killing me. Anyways, hope you feel better.
    Tiff

Thanks Jared and Jitterbug. This morning is somewhat better. Woke up with some anxiety and some of the feelings from yesterday but tried to distract myself with the breathing and with writing. I kept trying to think of the positive things that I had done yesterday and kept thinking of good things. While it was difficult to keep my brain focused, it seems to have worked.
    I hope that everyone has a good day!

Thread Information