Thread: old user-different kind of panic attack

old user-different kind of panic attack

Hi all, it's been awhile. I've had a bit of a set back. The depression and anxiety was really hurting me so I decided to try the Prozac again. Yesterday was the third night and I had the worst panic attack I think I've ever had.

I understand why people think they're having a heart attack. It just wouldn't stop and was beating so fast and hard. Body felt like it was on fire. I almost went to the hospital. I'm still really on edge today and can feel the attack trying to creep up on me.

Has anyone else had an experience like this after a few days on Prozac/an SSRI? I haven't had a panic attack in years. Just depression and bad anxiety.

Thanks all!

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Alright, well, off the work. Wish me luck.

Re: old user-different kind of panic attack

Hello, It might not be the Prozac at all, and you would have had one whether you were on it or not. The Prozac will work for you, if you have faith in it. Try and persevere for it will lift you off the floor, and then you will have the confidence to "go it alone" you'll know when the time is right for this. Good Luck. X

You say that your depression and anxiety had returned and so tried Prozac. But the anxiety and depression were already troubling you in the first place and so its likely that these are the true cause of the attack.

Personally, I suffered with acute anxiety and depression for 13 years before I ever experienced a full blown, heart thumping, sweating, flushing panic attack. The panic attacks started in response to having my father die suddenly and then being burgled 6 months later on the anniversary of his birthday. It was system overload. Maybe your system has overloaded?

Thanks for the responses. They really help. I took Prozac 15+ years ago when all this first started and never had a problem. It was so weird last night. I came home and took 20mg (maybe too high to start with?) and within a hour or two I was so thirsty that I went through two liters of water and slowly started feeling very very anxious and panicy. After about 4 hours i had the first panic attack that ive had in over four years. Spent the rest of the night trying to fight off more and trying to sleep.

---------- Post added at 02:40 ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 ----------

I skipped out of work after four hours. Soooo tired. Am scared that the attacks will happen again tonight but trying to remind myself that those kinds of thoughts don't help. My therapist picked a heck of a week for vacation. :/

---------- Post added at 05:17 ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 ----------

Everytime i start to dose off, i get jolted awake from a mini nightmare. Just want to sleep!!

Hiya

Sorry to hear of you temporary set back . Its just temporary , you need to know that .
    You got well before and will again . Try not to fight it but rather accept the sensations , let them do as they will , go with it and the adrenalin will switch off when you switch of the fear of the sensations . Ive had all of what you describe and I know how hard it is .
    I,m having a bit of a setback just now too but getting there .

Good luck

I left Prozac after taking it for 5 years and I am taking it now again.
    I didn`t suffer any panic attack.
    Did you go to your doctor?

Tamo- thank you for your words. It really helps to be reminded that i'm not alone and this is temporary. I do feel better today. Took some nyquil last night and finally slept. How is your recovery coming? Are you doing any meds or therapy? Honestly, i'm too afraid to take any more prozac after what happened.

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

Patt- yes, ive been seeing a psychologist off and on for a few years. He prescribed me the Prozac. It was so weird because ive never had a problem before. Im thinking that perhaps 20mgs was too much to start with.

Made it through a full day of work. Starting to feel a lot better. Hopefully the panic attack aftermath is over. It's self defeating, i know, but i can't help but to wonder it's going to turn to crap whenever i feel better. If that makes any sense. I used to think the depersonalization/derealization was the worst about all this but now i remember the panic attacks are waaay worse. I'll deal with the dp/dr. That's an everyday thing for me. Anyway, we'll see how tomorrow goes. Maybe i can eat something lol... :/

Another day down. Fours days, no panic attack! Feeling a lot better. Wish my therapist appointment was sooner. Thinking about trying Lexapro. I've lost five pounds already though. Hope to be able to eat again soon. Didn't want to get in shape this way, lol. Hope everyone reading this well. Stay the course, it gets better.

Thread Information