Thread: Intolerance of caffeine and sugar on fluoxetine

Intolerance of caffeine and sugar on fluoxetine

I've been on fluoxetine for just over 3 weeks now and I've found that since I started taking it, I can no longer really tolerate caffeine and sugar...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Caffeine now gives me the WORST insomnia, even if I just have one small cup of coffee in the morning - and it makes me SO jittery and keeps me up all night (I used to be able to have 2-3 cups of STRONG coffee a day to keep me awake without it making me jittery and more anxious than normal, and I could go to sleep at 9pm no problems)
    Even green tea, which has a minimal amount of caffeine in it makes me jittery and anxious for hours!

Sugar is much the same, I used to eat an AWFUL lot of it (addiction sucks), and now if I eat even a small amount it gives me the wicked shakes/jitters and if I have any in the afternoon, I'm an anxious jittery mess until about 11pm at night (which is a problem because my anxiety at night time goes through the roof without help!)

I know the answer is pretty simple (stop consuming them, DUUUH) I'm just wondering if anyone else had similar effects while on fluoxetine.

Re: Intolerance of caffeine and sugar on fluoxetine

Prozac is very awakening, and some people say Effexor is the same. SNRI's also give me this issue which is why I couldn't continue with Cymbalta, too stimulating for me, couldn't even sleep. I was, however, in early days for these drugs, and so are you, nomi. I would wait a few more weeks and see how you feel. Prozac has a history of settling at 6-8 weeks. Feel better.
    Diagnosis: ADHD (Combined Type) with GAD. Had Post Concussive Syndrome, as well as Occipital Neuralgia and IBS. Recovered from PCS in May 2013. Diagnosed with a kidney disease called Gitelman Syndrome in November 2015.

On natural remedies currently.

L-tryptophan and magnesium glycinate

Also taking: potassium chloride er

Yes, sounds like your central nervous system is very sensitive at the moment, while it gets used to the fluoxetine. Try to limit sugar/caffeine for the next few weeks, until it kicks in fully. As consider says, it can take a while to settle down and reach a steady state within the body.

Is there any possibility that its not making you anxious n jittery you just think it is? What I mean is in the first few weeks off Fluoxetine it really heightens your anxiety so could be making you feel this way? X

There's definitely the possibility that it's all in my head, but its definitely not the fluoxetine alone, it only happens after I've had caffeine/more than a tiny amount of sugar.

I never thought about the effect on my CNS though - thanks for pointing that out - that makes me feel a little better! It'll be interesting to see if it continues past the 6-8 week mark

I used to drink pepsi to enhance the effects of fluoxetine not at bedtime though

Thread Information