Thread: Athiest knows every thing

Athiest knows every thing

Hi
    My ocd is about science and faith. I have some questions that never go away .I am grateful if any one could answer
    1. can science tell us if there is a God or not ?
    2. I read before that most of students in colleges of science leave their faith in God is it true, why?
    3.Is it really thet the modern society became totally atheist ( America UK Europe ) and people are categorised as stupid believers and modern atheists ?
    4. Does studying math and science will affect someone's faith, or Atheist s are more intelligent that believers?
    Sorry for all this questions but I know that most of you have already pass through this before specially if you are in Europe , UK or USA.
    I really afraid of atheists ... if see an athiest even if in the net I get relly afraid and my heart beats increase and still like that for so long.
    Once I wake up in the morning I recall or imagine an athiest (who is knowing every thing in this world and even knows me better than myself) and he/she starts to compel or convince me that I'm old fashioned stupid and starts to insult me and tell me that i should deny God to be rational ! I have these thoughts for more than 5 years. I just want to live in peace and feel safe I wish to see all the would live in peace no more violence , heat or cheating I wish I could live in a merciful world ... so sorry for writing too much and thanks for who can help

Re: Athiest knows every thing

I'm now in my 50s & have been an Atheist since my early teens, but I certainly would never claim to know everything or even that much.

I was raised as a Catholic, but stopped believing in God because life just seemed too cruel for there to be any benign force just watching over us. The last time I tried to pray for anything was one morning when I just wanted to have one day when I was spared the relentless bullying at school. Sadly, the day was as bad as ever, so for me that was it & I haven't believed in any sort of God since.

As you can see, none of this has anything to do with Science, although I did go on study IT at university & have always tried to keep up with scientific journals.

I really wish I could believe there was something more to our existence, but life has made me very cynical & I just can't see any evidence of it.

Atheists often get a very bad press & are sometimes accused of having lesser morality than those with faith. For me at least, the belief that everything is finite is even more reason to show compassion for others, since otherwise there really is no point to anything & there is no better feeling in life than knowing you have made someone else happier.

Hi there,

No, science cannot tell us if there is a God or not. A lot of science is theory-based anyway - which to me seems like a type of faith in itself!

I don't know what faith you have, but have a look at this list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ers_in_science

Having a faith/belief system doesn't make anyone more or less intelligent - the 2 are not connected as far as I can see.

If you are a Christian, I really recommend this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unapologetic.../dp/0571225225 - if you read the description, you'll see if it's something you'd be interested in.

Take care

1. It might do one day but hasn't so far. Early scientists (called natural philosophers) tried to prove how God fitted into their theories but never succeeded. Religion and science are separate things now but didn't used to be.

2. I'm not sure how true that is. However, faith has a lot to do with accepting something that cannot be proved. Since student are taught to question rather than accept this can be at odds with religious faith.

3. Modern society is not totally atheist and I'm not sure why you even ask that question as it's very obvious it isn't. More atheist than it used to be? Probably.

4. This is related to your first question. There are scientists who are atheists and those who are not. Others are honest enough to say they simply don't know and are, in essence, agnostic. No one group is more intelligent than the other.

5. Unless you ask them, how do you know whether someone is an atheist or not?

Don't be deliberately blinded to the fact that many people have done, and continue to do, great evil in the name of religion. Having the idea that faith = good and atheism = bad is the only thing that most atheists would take issue with and if you are actually promoting that view, then that may be why you are (or fear) coming into conflict with atheists.

I am an atheist and I want to live in a safe and peaceful world as much as you do. I believe that tolerance is the key to that and not religious belief or the lack of it. Knowing that, are you scared of me? If so, why?

Would the term "humanist" feel less threatening? That's essentially the philosophy NorthernGeek is describing. It doesn't mean quite the same thing but most atheists are also humanists.
    Last edited by Brunette; 05-12-13 at 10:14.

Most atheists will be quite happy for you to believe whatever you want to believe and not challenge your beliefs at all. If you are respectful of other people's beliefs, they will normally be respectful of yours too. There are some people who are just plain rude, and there are some angry atheists on the internet, but mostly atheists just want to go about their lives in peace just like you. you probably wouldn't even be able to tell whether someone was an atheist unless you asked.

I don't think atheists are more intelligent than believers. They certainly don't have the powers you've talked about - that sounds rather mystical than someone could know everything about the world and about you.

The atheists are not coming to get you!

Some very intelligent people, past and present, are religious. Not every scientist is atheist.

I have a pet hate with this. I have friends on FB who are very openly atheist and will talk down on those who aren't, I made a point that they are as bad as those who are religious who 'shove it down their throats', using their words. I believe that nobody has the right to talk down to anybody about religion, whether they are religious or not or if they belong to a different faith to them. We are all human living on one planet, let's just all play nice.

I suggest speaking to a member of your faith, whether in a mosque, church (I'm not sure what faith you belong to) and maybe discuss your concerns and thoughts with them?

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Science is simply a way to know how things work and about the universe. God would essentially be the most complex and powerful and would exist outside of known reality as he would have created the universe and what we know as reality. From a science standpoint he would probably be the most difficult to understand.

The idea of God can vary. Science, and more specifically our understanding of our origins do conflict with variations of beliefs like God creating us directly vs evolution.

The impression that atheists are more smart would definitely be false. Scientific knowledge can affect your view of religious ideas however (a big one is creation vs evolution).

Most atheists don't dismiss the possible existence of God 100%. I keep an open mind myself.

We humans are very susceptible to polarize our views of people (like us versus them mentality) when we should all really try and get along.

I'm quite interested to know why the original poster has never replied.

Did our responses help at all? Are you reassured?

Thread Information