Thread: Lorazepam - anyone tried it or similar meds?

Lorazepam - anyone tried it or similar meds?

Hi, I know this is the Diazepam/Valium forum but I believe Lorazepam/Ativan is a very similar medication.

I've been prescribed Lorazepam up to 3mg a day to help me cope with anxiety and agitation. My doctor thought it might help me get to University and cope better.

I looked it up on the online and I think I am on quite a strong dose because 1mg of lorazepam = 10mg of diazepam.

The first time I took it I tried to go to class I didn't notice any difference or help at all .
    I tried some again 6pm yesterday and I felt slightly more relaxed but not exactly anxiety free, but I did sleep well. Is this normal or should I expect to notice a stronger effect?

Maybe I was expecting too much as I was hoping they would completely switch off the anxiety for a few hours.

Re: Lorazepam - anyone tried it or similar meds?

Ive never tried Lorazepam myself but all i do know is Diazepam is longer acting than Lorazepam. Not much help really i guess!

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Hi
    I take lorazepam PRN for major anxiety attacks. Its a fast acting valium with a short half life. i.e it does not stay in your system as long as diazepam. On average Diazepam lasts about 5 hours and Lorazepam about 2 hrs....................It helps me

Quote Originally Posted by SarahH View Post
    Hi
    I take lorazepam PRN for major anxiety attacks. Its a fast acting valium with a short half life. i.e it does not stay in your system as long as diazepam. On average Diazepam lasts about 5 hours and Lorazepam about 2 hrs....................It helps me
    Can I ask what dose?

I've tried it a couple of times now with no benefits. Tried again this morning but a double dose and that didn't work either. I don't even feel any effect right now, I'm worried, uptight, agitated, restless and my feet are still jiggling.... this is after 2mg of lorazepam between 7:30am 9:30am.

Even an hour after taking it I felt no benefit and had to leave a social situation as I couldn't engage.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Well I take 0.5mgs when I am really REALLY agitated and it helps me......very occasionally I take another 0.5 mgs after and hour if the first dose does not wotk. However, I also take 400mgs of pregabalin daily which is also for anxiety so the Lorazepam is a "top-up".

Sarah

Thread Information