Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My experience with zoloft

My experience with zoloft

Hi everyone, I am new on this site, glad I found it
    I started to have panic attacks last august after complication of a sinus surgery. I was spiraling down to a point where I could hardly sleep or eat and going to work everyday was a challenge. I started CBT but this was not enough to pull me up so my pdoc proposed zoloft which I gladly accepted despite being anti-medication (like most of us I guess...).
    He started me at 50mg and asked my to take 100mg after a week. I did not take the 100mg I stayed at 50mg because the first 3 weeks were a nightmare. My anxiety was even worst than pre-medication, and one of the worst day of my life was they day after I had 2 glass of wine.
    To help me sleep I was given a limited number of sleeping pills. I tried taking benzo at the begining but after the effect faded away (3-4 hours) I would wake up with a huge panic attack so I never took them. When I told my pdoc about the bad 3 weeks I had he seemed surprised, so I started to loose confidence in him. I also was never told what to expect on this medication.
    After 3 weeks I started to feel better with good days and bad days. I did not need the sleeping pills anymore. I was sleeping quite well despite waking up quite early in the morning (around 5-6am). Meanwhile my sinus problems were solved so I stopped focusing on that.
    After 4 weeks I had more good days than bad days still a bit tensed in the morning when I woke up but that went away after I started the day.
    After 5 weeks I was good, my old self. Happy and glad to be feeling so good. I had to be rushed to ER in the middle of one night because of UTI and I thought this is going to put me down but no. I took my medecine and did not give it a second thought.
    After 6 weeks I told myself, since the cause of my anxiety is gone, I should be able to do without the meds. I had a few CBT sessions and thought I could handle my anxiety if it came back. I went to see my GP (I did not want to see my pdoc) and told him I wanted to wean off. He said since you are good why not. So I decreased to 37.5mg for 10 days. Slight increase of anxiety for a few days but I managed to talk myself out of it.
    Then 25mg for 10 days. I was OK. One morning had a kind of adrenalin rush and was a bit lightheaded the whole day but next day I was fine. So I continued. Went down to 12.5mg, was Ok for 10 days then I had a gastric flu, my nose felt weird to me, stomach pain and I started to have anxiety again. Not as bad as what I had at the begining but enough to give me adrenalin rush and feel uneasy throughout the day.
    This is how I am now and I almost regret coming out the medecine after only 1 and a half month. I don't know if what I am experiencing now is withdrawal symptoms or my anxiety coming back. I was feeling so good 1 week ago and now feel miserable to have gone backwards. I'll give it a few days, still taking my 12.5mg daily and will meet with my doc to see if I should up the dosage again.
    Sorry for the long story !
    Helena

Re: My experience with zoloft

Hi Helena

I have just started taking sertraline this my second week on 50mg and feel worse than ever! My doctor has just prescribed me benzodiazepines but don't want to take them as don't want to get addicted. It was good to read you felt better and hopefully in time they will work for me too. How was you taking the benzodiazepines? Did they help?

Hello

I'm on 3 weeks of 50mg now - and am feeling much better! It was quite hard for the first two weeks or so... so hang in there! x

It will be sunny, one day.

Hi Ally, I spoke to my psychiatrist today and she said it will take a good two weeks to feel any benefit. A week feels like a life time I feel that I am existing and not living. My day to day life is dull, the only thing keeping me going are my two beautiful kids. I just want to be a proper mum to them, I don't want them to remember me when they are older as the mum that stayed in bed all day. I really want my life back to how it was, I don't think that is too much to ask! I hope things improve dramatically cause I am fed up feeling like this. Do you ever think to yourself how the hell did it get this way. I look out of my window sometimes envious of all the people getting on with their life's. Sorry to bore you all but needed to get that off my chest! Good luck to you all x x

Hi Luisa,
    I do not react very well to the benzo, I tried 3 different ones. Everytime I take them I feel sort of better for a while then when the effect fades off I have a panic attack so I should be taking them non stop every 3 hours which was out of question. But this is me, everyone reacts differently and many people find them useful during the first weeks of zoloft. Doctor told me max 2 weeks on a very regular use. You won't get addicted if you take them once in a while for emergency.
    I know the first weeks seem to be an eternity I was counting the days and I was also looking at other people and thinking how lucky they were to be "normal". Hang on it will get better gradually.
    Ally, nice to read that you are feeling better !
    As for me I had a roller coaster of emotions yesterday it was tiring. But this morning I got up and was fine. Maybe if was the flu virus that put me down emotionally.
    I will stick to 12.5mg for now, too afraid to stop. Anybody has experience weaning off 12.5 mg ? Better cut the dose in 2 of stop completely ? (not easy to cut a 50mg pill in 8 !). My doctor was saying 12.5 mg is nothing so I can stop but I have the feeling I am still reacting to it.
    Helena

Luisa - btw, I did not take any benzo's with my meds. But I did go very slowly when it came to upping the dose. I stayed around 12.5mg for a couple weeks, and then 25mg for over a month before going to 50mg. So it wasn't too bad. And yes - I wonder all the time what happened... hehe Don't dwell on it for too long though. Look forward, and keep going...

Helena - When I came off the meds around Feb, I tapered down slowly - and if you are at the 12.5mg stage, then I think you can come off them. But see how YOU feel. When you feel ready, then do it. There is no right or wrong way - as long as you come off them slowly. But yes - 12.5mg is quite a low dose. What I did is cut a couple pills in to quarters, and then I'd take the biggest one, and work my way to the smallest...

to you both!

It will be sunny, one day.

Thanks for your replies. I must say I have had a good day today but it is always in the back of my mind when will come back because I know it sounds stupid but so used to it being there that when it's not there it is strange!

Helena - good luck with coming off you are just ending your meds and we are just beginning! Let me know how you get on.

Ally - glad you are feeling better and it continues. This site is great cause you really think you are the only one suffering and now I know I am not. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I would rather have the flu at least it eventually goes.

Sending hugs and good wishes

Still feel edgy so I will stay on 12.5 mg until I feel really good. Maybe 12.5 mg does not do much but still seems a life-buoy to me.
    Ally I will do what you suggest cut a few pills and go from biggest to smallest one. Tks !
    Luisa you will have more and more good days !
    Take care

Unhappy Re: My experience with zoloft

Not a good day today. Feel like a panic attack could happen any minute. Is it normal at the beginning to have a good then bad day?

I think so Luisa - I definitely have good days and bad days 9 weeks in, and my doctor says this is very normal.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information