Thread: Swollen throat, swollen lymph node?

Swollen throat, swollen lymph node?

A few days ago I started experiencing a swelling feeling in my throat, to the point where my neck began feeling very stiff. I tried to ignore it at first, but it hasn't really gotten better. In fact, it's gotten more prominent, and it's making me very nervous.
    I just went to the doctor today, and he said my throat looks fine to him, and my neck feels fine, and said he thinks it's acid reflux. He prescribed me a pepcid alternative and seemed confident it would help. I took my first dose of pepcid and have felt absolutely no better. I know it may take time to act but I'm terrified, as I've experienced acid reflux symptoms in the past, though never with my whole neck feeling stiff. To make matters worse, I noticed a swollen lymph node (I'm assuming) under my jaw. It feels rather large, and to my knowledge, they only swell when there is something wrong. It was my first time visiting this doctor and now I'm regretting that I already left. I have no idea if I will easily be able to get ahold of them again or even what I should do at this point. I'm very very nervous. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I have no sources of closure at the moment.

I am a 19 year old college student.

Re: Swollen throat, swollen lymph node?

Hon most of us can feel the glands in our neck if we poke - I know I can! It doesn't mean they are swollen, even if they "feel" it. Remember that you aren't medically trained and can't say that they are swollen.

Secondly, even if they were swollen - we are in virus season! Colds, flu's and sore throats galore!

Give your medication chance to work and chillax. It's ok

I've been having issues that sound really similar. I have a strong suspicion that mine is causes by tmj as I clench my jaws in my sleep. Could yours also be due to that do you think? It's very common with anxiety Xx

i have the same at the moment ,,one on each side under my jaw..have had a cold sore and 2 colds in last 3 months..suffering at moment with throat and cold and cough ..am on antibiotics yet again..dr says they are fine just about pea size,,were sore on saturday when cold started but are not sore now..still feel a bit unsure and always worry about nodes..but hey ho 2 drs said put worries away as its natural with colds and viruses. would be grateful of any advice,,

cheers
    gina
    Last edited by greenlady; 17-12-13 at 21:50.

Thread Information