Thread: Changes in routine causing anxiety?

Changes in routine causing anxiety?

Hey guys. I was just wondering if anybody else has this issue (and im guessing the answer will most likely be yes) so if people do, what do you do to try and solve it?

I keep finding that when theres is a big change in my day-to-day rountine I suffer a lot of anxiety. In my situation it is coming home from university, and then going back to university. In the first few days of being home I am struck with anxiety and bad thoughts and have panic attacks. Then it all settles down and I enjoy being at home, and then when it comes to going back to university I end up being anxious there for a few days before the cycle starts all over again the next time I go to visit.

I was wondering if there was any way to try and solve this as it is a shame that my first few days - or sometimes longer - of visiting home are full of anxiety when it should be a happy time.

Thanks

Re: Changes in routine causing anxiety?

Hi Natnob. I can only comment from the outside having never been to university but have have seen both my daughter and now partner's daughter (PD) struggle with similar problems. I think tiredness plays a big part in readjusting to being home and the lack of a routine. In PD's case it's isolation that she is feeling this being the first time home after 3 months living in an environment full of young vibrant people, a nightlife that doesn't happen at home, public transport on tap so able to move without being restricted and her own space. These were some of her concerns last week which brought about a minor meltdown.

My daughter had similar problems during her first year but after catching up on sleep plans some structure to the time when home scheduling periods of study time with relaxtion etc. A bit of forward planning before you finish each semester organising day to day activities should help your anxiety. Make sure to make time to get outside each day, so easy to fall into the trap of can't be bothered. Also do forward planning for when you return to Uni. You know it's going to happen just try to prepare yourself.

Enjoy your holiday

Re: Changes in routine causing anxiety?

Thank you! That does sound like a good idea to plan things in advance, I will look at doing that and then make my time more worthwhile as well. Both stories do sound very similar to my own and make a lot of sense!

I will get to work on trying out a plan and work out what I can be doing with my time. Thanks!

Thread Information