Thread: citalopram to sertraline feel horrible!

citalopram to sertraline feel horrible!

Hi everyone,

I have been on citalopram for four years which made me feel me again. However, after difficulty with my teacher training my panic and anxiety came on strong. I went to the doctors and because I was on the full dose of citalopram I was switched to sertraline.
    I was told to take 1 cit and 1 50mg sert for 1 week and then two sert after, so 100 mg in total. The doc told me that switching was easy and I wouldnt feel a thing.
    I started to pick up for about 2 weeks, then bang! My anxiety has been horrible since. I have never been suicidal due to the GAD but have been over the last few weeks. My appatite is completely shot and I normally enjoy food and a good diet.
    I went back and doc increased to 150mg and I remained the same. I have been back to the docs since and saw a different doc who said I had gone too high on sertraline and that might be why my anxiety is so bad. But then went crawling back the next day because I couldnt cope and saw again a different doc who said to stay on the 150 mg. It is now week 5 and I feel awful. Will this get better? Has anyone had experience of this? Should I cut my losses and go back on citalopram? I appreciate any views

Re: citalopram to sertraline feel horrible!

Sorry to hear you are feeling so lousy.....I can TOTALLY relate. I am just a little over a month in on Sertraline and it shot my appetite to bits. I have lost about 20 pounds since I started it...and I am fairly slender to begin with. I noticed toward the end of the second week I could SOMETIMES get something down by dinner time. I was mainly surviving on smoothies and Ensures. However, it has been slowly coming back, and the last few days I have managed a very small breakfast and lunch.
    My anxiety was already very severe when starting, but got so bad in the first two weeks of the meds that I became completely agoraphobic and am still working through that. It is definitely better- with a long, long journey still ahead. (Started CBT too.)
    I don't have anything to offer concerning the rest of it, but hope that helps some.

Were you on 40mg of citalopram? If so, then the equivalent dosage is 100mg of sertraline. Citalopram is a fairly sedating SSRI, and it seems that Sertraline is fairly activating, so that may explain the increased anxiety. I personally would go back to 100mg and wait until the side effects have gone away (which they will in time). Give it a few more weeks and you'll start to feel better I'm sure.

I am just wondering how you are doing? I was on citalopram for years and was swapped to sertraline. I am on 150. Was up to 200 but made me feel horrible. Doctor suggested I drop back to 100 but I was scared it was too much at once.

Did you go back to 100? I have been taking diazepam and zoplicone to help with anxiety and sleeping. I am seriously wondering if I should go back to citalopram as I have been struggling for months. I am better but no where near 100%.

I hope things have settled down for you.

Thread Information