Thread: Do I leave my job with this?

Do I leave my job with this?

Ive been signed off work since mid December. It started off with severe abdominal pains which Im currently undergoing tests for and Abdominal Pains was written by my doctor as reason I am unable to work. The past couple of doctors ive seen have written anxiety/fatigue as the reason as I have stressed myself out beyond belief with worry this time.

I can barely leave the house at the moment ( I was agoraphobic in 2009) and feel faint and weak even at the thought of doing so however I am making myself do so to try and prevent things getting to that stage again.

I cant see myself being able to go back and do my job for the foreseeable future. I work 6 hour shifts on a busy supermarket checkout and seeing as I cant even nip into a small supermarket and do my own food shopping at the moment I don't know how I will be able to do this. It fills me with complete dread.

I really feel like I want to take a few months out and just try and get these demons conquered without having to worry about work but I know Im unlikely to be able to have that length of time off and even then what if I wasn't ready?

Really worrying about this at the moment.Anyone who's been in this situation?

Re: Do I leave my job with this?

If you can't work for health reasons you should be able to claim ESA. It usually involves an ATOS medical assessment but I was awarded ESA for 1 year.

Seek advice before doing anything. Just let your GP keep signing you off for as long as you need. If you cannot return to work then there is a process your employer have to go through to dismiss you on grounds of ill health and then you can apply for benefits, but it is often not good to resign if you will need to claim benefits.

I would keep getting signed off as long as possible, rather than quit. I had a year out in 2012. it was just 4 weeks to start with, then that turned into another 2 months etc etc. before I knew it I was attending welfare meeting as had been off so long. I saw occupational health. my psych and gp didn't want me to go back, but once I got issues with a final written warning 11 months into being off, I was forced to return and it was best thing I did - in my mind - not the mind of the professionals. The only thing I do regret was not using that time to see proper therapy etc, but I never intended to be off that long. Mine was anxiety with a whole host of other issues, but I think if you quit now, you will start on a downward spiral and find it hard to ever get back. Things might seem daunting now, but they wont always seem this way, just as they haven't always done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    If you can't work for health reasons you should be able to claim ESA. It usually involves an ATOS medical assessment but I was awarded ESA for 1 year.
    Thankyou Annie, may I ask if anxiety was stated for a reason on your info etc?

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Seek advice before doing anything. Just let your GP keep signing you off for as long as you need. If you cannot return to work then there is a process your employer have to go through to dismiss you on grounds of ill health and then you can apply for benefits, but it is often not good to resign if you will need to claim benefits.
    Yes thats what im worrying about Edie. I may not be entitled to benefits if I leave my job willingly. My partner has offered to move in with us and that way we would be entitled to a small amount of tax credits I believe.

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chinchilla View Post
    I would keep getting signed off as long as possible, rather than quit. I had a year out in 2012. it was just 4 weeks to start with, then that turned into another 2 months etc etc. before I knew it I was attending welfare meeting as had been off so long. I saw occupational health. my psych and gp didn't want me to go back, but once I got issues with a final written warning 11 months into being off, I was forced to return and it was best thing I did - in my mind - not the mind of the professionals. The only thing I do regret was not using that time to see proper therapy etc, but I never intended to be off that long. Mine was anxiety with a whole host of other issues, but I think if you quit now, you will start on a downward spiral and find it hard to ever get back. Things might seem daunting now, but they wont always seem this way, just as they haven't always done in the past.
    Thanks for that helpful advice chinchilla. I had to leave my last job (back in 2009) eventually due to feeling ill the whole time I was there and of course the agoraphobia. My current job is also about 6 miles away from my home and I travel by bus which gets me more anxious too. I think I'd be better if it was local to my house - id feel safer. Hopefully in a few weeks or months I can feel differently about things like (as you said) I did in the past. When youre in the midst of it though its sometimes hard to believe you will ever be back in the real world.

Thread Information